As a Water Treatment Plant Operator at Jerritt Canyon, you will have the following General Responsibilities:
- Perform assigned treatment plant rounds; inspect, monitor, troubleshoot, performance tests and document plant processes by reading plant equipment gauges, dials, graphs, online analyzers, computer screens, meters, SCADA systems and other instrumentation.
- Operate treatment plant pumps and motors, calculate dosages and adjust chemical feed rates as needed and other equipment to maintain all daily appropriate plant operations.
- Maintain, compile and update plant operations logs and reports; perform and record mathematical calculations related to plant operational activities.
- Mix and add treatment chemicals; install and replace chlorine cylinder tanks; ensure adequate chemical application according to regulations and guidelines.
- Install, maintain, repair, modify, troubleshoot and service plant operations machinery and equipment including pumps, valves, motors, meters, tanks, reservoirs, feeders, and online analyzers; change lubrications.
- Collect and document liquid and solid samples and perform a variety of routine water quality laboratory tests; work closely with the laboratory on testing processes; monitor laboratory results.
- Perform general plant facility maintenance such as cleaning, painting and repairing plant facilities; perform various grounds maintenance duties as required.
- Operate a variety of heavy equipment including backhoes, loaders, scrapers, rotovators, forklifts, dump trucks; assist in unloading chemicals as necessary.
- As assigned, participate in preventative maintenance procedures and assists in identifying areas of concern in a variety of special projects such as construction of piping, mechanical, electrical, and structural systems related to assigned work area.
- Perform clerical work to include: preparing records and reports, completing forms, copying and filing documents, entering and retrieving computer data, answering the telephone, assist in ordering repair parts, chemicals, and managing inventory.
- Perform various other duties including backwashing filters, refilling chemicals, cleaning basins, and minor maintenance.
Qualifications and/or Education Requirements
The qualified Water Treatment Plant Operator will have the following requirements;
- Principles and practices of water treatment plant operations.
- Operating principles of plant equipment such as valves, pumps, motors.
- Methods and techniques of maintaining, repairing and troubleshooting water or water plant
equipment and processes.
- Effective communication, both verbal and written
- Ability to evaluate and implement new methods and techniques for operational improvement
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Must be available to respond after hours and weekends for emergency purposes
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and
abilities in the principles and practices of water treatment plant operations is qualifying such as:
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
- Trainee: Additional training in the natural sciences and/or treatment plant operations is desirable.
- Operator: Specialized training in water or wastewater treatment plant operations with Grade I or Operator-in-Training certificate with the goal of full certification within 6 months.
License/Certificates: Possession of a Grade II Water and/or Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator