NEW COMPETITIVE PAY RATES FOR ALL TEACHERS!
Teachers at Jefferson Hills have unique chance to be creative, developing curriculum that engages and encourages our students with diverse special needs including behavior and mental health issues. We provide small class sizes and the opportunity to work on a multidisciplinary team with other educators, therapists, and medical professionals. Together, we make a difference in the lives of our children and youth every day. Join us!
Special Education Teacher Position Purpose:
Teachers provide specialized educational programming to some of our most academically challenged students. Teachers have a significantly reduced classroom size so they can meet the needs of each individual. Responsibilities include:
- Prepares lessons in advance for all assigned classes: provides written lesson plans to the principal upon request.
- Modifies and adjusts curriculum to meet remedial and/or enrichment needs of students; coordinates curriculum with regular education teachers as needed.
- Assesses academic performance against IEP requirements; participates in IEP meetings and maintains compliance with state and federal requirements. Communicates IEP & transition goals and objectives with regular education teachers and other education staff, Treatment Coordinator, and unit staff; tracks progress.
- Demonstrates effective use of Teaching Assistants in the classroom, including a coordinated team approach to meet the unique needs of students and to manage classroom behaviors.
- Maintains classroom management techniques to ensure the safety and security of each student and staff.
- Collaborates/communicates effectively and consistently with all members of Jefferson Hills’s multidisciplinary team on a regular basis and with all outside agencies.
- Keeps accurate and timely students records, completes Monthly Academic Progress Reports and Discharge Summaries within prescribed time lines.
- Attends &/or gives input to all Case Conferences for students on assigned caseload.
- Maintains a professional relationship with parents and guardians of the students.
- Maintains up to date certification in CPR, First Aid, and CPI.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical restraints with clients using required CPI techniques.
- Bachelor’s degree in education with current Colorado State Teaching License with Special Education Endorsement or subject area Secondary Education Endorsement. Some experience working with adolescents with special needs. M.A. or M.Ed. in Special Education with relevant experience preferred.
- Experience or demonstrated understanding of IEP process.
- Experience or demonstrated ability working as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Motivated and willing to teach and work with students that have significant mental health issues.
- Experience in mental health, crisis prevention, juvenile corrections, or related field preferred.
- Please apply with your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements.
Jefferson Hills is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected status according to Colorado state and federal laws.
- Applicants must be 21 years or older.
NOTE: This position works in a licensed, residential child care facility. Drug screen and rigorous background check required for employment.
Jefferson Hills offers a comprehensive, affordable benefits program including health, dental and vision coverage, 403(b) with company match, long and short term disability plans and A FREE MEAL FOR EVERY 8 HOURS WORKED!
We seek to provide professional learning and development through ongoing training and a tuition reimbursement program. Jefferson Hills is an equal opportunity employer. For qualified candidates, we offer a comprehensive induction program for teachers seeking a Professional Teaching License.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE