JMH Certified Nurse Aide/Patient Care Tech
- Posted: over a month ago
The Patient Care Tech (PCT) works under the direct supervision of the professional nurse (RN) and/or licensed practical nurse (LPN). The PCT is responsible for the safety and comfort of patients and assists the RN and / or LPN with nursing care; as well as reporting observations pertinent to the well-being of the patient. Applicant must have Nurse Aide Certification from the State of Georgia.
GENERAL PURPOSE AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Acquire a general knowledge of pertinent hospital and nursing policies and other departments’ functions and interactions with nursing service.
- Function as an important member of the nursing team, receiving assignment from and reporting to team leaders.
- Does work accurately, neatly, and completely.
- Assist with admissions, discharges and transfers of patients.
- Answers patient’s signals and assists or seeks assistance as necessary.
- Observes and reports patient’s general condition and behavior, both physical and mental.
- Assists with personal care: bathing, shampoo hair, shave, oral care, nail care, dressing, and grooming as needed.
- Applies topical ointments / creams as instructed and under the supervision of the charge nurse.
- Assists with positioning patients, back care, transfers, discharges, toileting, and ambulation as needed.
- Collects urine, stool, sputum specimens as directed.
- Distributes meal trays, assists patients with feeding as needed, and document meal intake percentage.
- Applies elastic stockings, ace bandages, slings, binders, splints as directed.
- Restocks equipment and supplies as directed.
- Make beds daily for all patients.
- Obtains vital signs manually or automatic: blood pressure, pulse, respirations, temperature, oxygen saturation as directed and report abnormalities.
- Obtains weight and height as directed.
- Performs exercises (active range of motion, passive range of motion) as directed.
- Properly demonstrate the insertion of an indwelling catheter using sterile technique and perform task as assigned.
- Accurately perform EKG testing as assigned.
- Perform glucometer blood sugar checks and record results appropriately.
- Measures and records intake and output as directed.
- Adheres to isolation techniques as required for specific disease.
- Apply cold or warm non-sterile compresses as directed.
- Knows when and how to administer CPR and does so.
- Completes charge sheets and gives to the charge nurse.
- Complete any flow sheets: Swing-bed ADL Sheets, Vital Sign Sheet, Graphic Sheets, etc…
- Ensure charts have necessary forms before the physicians make rounds each morning.
- Maintain organization at the nurse’s station.
- Monitor patients off the floor as needed.
- Assist with post-mortem care.
- Assist and / or perform any other task / duty as directed by the charge nurse(s).
- Registers patients after hours for the E.D.
- Accurately updates the Census sheet every night.
- Arrives for scheduled shift no earlier than fifteen (15) minutes before the shift begins and clocks out no later than fifteen (15) minutes after the scheduled shift ends.
- Required to work weekends on a rotating basis.
- Responsible for one overtime shift a month if needed.
- Demonstrates loyalty to the organization, honesty, and integrity at all times in the care and use of patient / resident and facility property.
- Demonstrates positive support of any and all programs / projects implemented by the DON, supervisor, or Administration.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient / resident information.
- Displays a neat, clean, and professional appearance at all times.
- Cooperates when needed if the facility faces an emergency or unusual circumstance.
- Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement activities through monitoring and evaluation of patient care.
- May be asked to participate on committees and community projects.
- Participate in staff meetings, in-service programs, performance improvement, infection control activities as necessary.
- Promote teamwork with physicians, patients, families, visitors, and co-workers.
- Use proper body mechanics for transfers, lifting, etc…
- All other duties as assigned.
Education/Training Experience: High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Must be state certified nursing assistant and be on the state registry. At least one year of hospital experience preferred.
Verbal and Written Communication Skills: Must be able to read, write and speak the English language fluently. Must be able to relate to individuals with various ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Interpersonal Skills: Relates cooperatively and constructively with all patients, visitors, families, physicians, peers, and all healthcare members as well as anyone that JHS employees interact with while performing their daily duties.
Essential Technical/Motor Skills: Full ambulation and precise eye-hand coordination.
Essential Mental Abilities: Knowledgeable and competent to perform essential functions. Must be able to deal with a variety of personalities with whom the employer comes into contact with, both pleasant and irate.
Essential Sensory Requirements: Ability to visually and audibly perform all essential functions.
Essential Physical Requirements: Moderate to high amount of walking, standing, sitting, reaching, pulling, pushing, stooping, and kneeling. Minimum lifting requirement of 50 pounds.
Exposure to Hazards: Exposure to infectious diseases, blood and body fluids, and chemical products.
Other: Assume responsibility for professional growth and expertise.
Standards of Performance:
- Must meet minimum requirements of the performance standards outlines in the criteria based evaluation and competency package.
- Must meet minimum physical requirements as outlined in this job description.
- Must meet education and experience requirements as outlined in this job description.
- Must meet all billing and legal compliance requirements as established by Hospital policies and procedures.
- Must comply with State and Federal Rules and Regulations for Hospitals.
12 hours shifts, weekends only
24-36 hours per pay period
Jasper Memorial Hospital
HealthcareView all jobs at Jasper Memorial Hospital