Electrical Systems Engineer \- Robotics
Are you passionate about human space exploration or understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a dynamic and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you\!
We need your commitment, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire humans all over the globe\. We need you to bring innovative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will benefit the quality of life of people around the world\. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on new challenges for NASA's pursuits in deep space exploration\. Jacobs is NASA's largest engineering solutions provider working alongside NASA at centers across the United States\.
We have the unique and significant role to partner with NASA at Johnson Space Center \(JSC\), to be part of every human spaceflight program - the International Space Station \(ISS\), NASA's Orion spacecraft, which will carry astronauts into deep space, and Gateway, the orbiting platform providing the home for astronauts to work and travel back and forth to the moon's surface, and serving as the platform for deep space exploration\. From critical systems on the ISS to enable astronauts to live and work in space; to performing advanced development for systems leading to deep space exploration; to being part of the foundation for Gateway\.
We also partner with NASA at JSC, the only NASA center in the United States to curate all astromaterial samples returned from exploration missions, to perform curation services, orbital debris analysis, and basic research to further humankind's understanding of the origins of our solar system\.
We need you to be a part of our team\!
We are currently in need of an Electrical Systems Engineer \- Robotics to join our team\. Do you have the following skills?
As an Electrical Systems Engineer \- Robotics you will:
- Support autonomous lunar rover development for future Moon operations\.
- Plan, develop, review, and maintain program requirements including Project Technical Requirements Specification \(PTRS\), Interface Control Documents \(ICDs\), Verification and Validation Document \(V&VD\) with an emphasis on Electrical Design/Development\.
- Review all Lunar Rover Power System Specifications and support power systems development of next generation lunar rover\.
- Design, test, maintain rover power systems including energy storageDevelop power system architectures\.
- Design and generate power system test hardware designs\.
- Develop detailed test verification procedures\.
- Review existing rover power system designs\.
- Prepare materials for the system design reviews and presented to the board\.
- Work with team members to identify risks, to develop risk statements, and to help them plan risk responses\.
- Perform and review system level architecture trade studies and analyses that will influence the overall system design and performance\.
- Work in a team environment and report to the team lead to provide status on progress and issues and for support\.
- Work with electrical technicians to build and test designed systems\.
- Perform other duties as required\.
This position has been posted at multiple levels\. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level which this position has been advertised\.
- BS degree in Systems or Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and five \(5\) years of Systems or Electrical Engineering related experience, or a MS degree in Systems or Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and four \(4\) years of related Systems or Electrical Engineering experience, or Ph\.D\. in Systems or Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and zero \(0\) years of related experience\.
- At least 5 years of experience in a Systems Engineering role in a NASA or DoD environment\.
- Experience with requirements development, design trades, risk analysis, and system analysis of space hardware\.
- Familiarity with solar charging, rechargeable batteries and primary battery systems\.
- Experience with various current sensing techniques\.
- Working knowledge of connector selection and wiring schemes for power systems\.
- Prior experience with electrical schematic entry and printed circuit board layout tools such as Altium Designer\.
- Prior experience with microcontroller, FPGA circuitry design and coding in associated embedded software/VHDL development environments\.
- Ability to operate in an electronics lab and perform necessary troubleshooting tasks\.
- Experience with test hardware such as oscilloscopes, multi\-meters, logic analyzers, function generators, electronic load banks, power supplies, power analyzers\.
- Ability to prepare written documents and to verbally present at various meetings\.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products\.
- Experience operating robots, particularly manipulatorsINCOSE Systems Engineering Professional certification\.
- Experience with NASA JSC Flight Hardware Life Cycle, Certification, and Engineering processes\.
- Experience with the design, assembly, verification, testing, and operation of space hardware\.
- Working knowledge of NASA, JSC, and ISS standard practices and requirements including safety, fault tolerance, and unique disciplines\.
- Familiarity with NASA/JSC documentation databases and share point sites as well as typical systems engineering software products\.
- Familiarity with design applications voltages close to 300 VDC\.
- Familiarity with power delivery and energy storage with cell capacities up to 20 kWh\.
- Familiarity with data interface protocols and associated hardware such as Ethernet, RS232, RS422, RS485, I2C, SPI etc\.
- Prior experience with cable design\.
- Prior experience in design and test of analog instrumentation systems\.
- Prior experience in design and test of power supply and conditioning systems\.
Click on the below links to view just a small sample of all that we do\! Come join our team and be part of our future\. We look forward to seeing you\!
See What We Do
Jacobs Aerospace Solutions Overview
\(please open in Chrome or Microsoft Edge\)
In addition to exciting career opportunities we also have:
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule \(every other Friday off\)
- Onsite cafeteria \(breakfast & lunch\)
- Comprehensive Benefit Package \(medical, dental & vision\)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Much, much more\!
- Must be a U\.S\. Citizen and successfully complete a U\.S\. government background investigation\.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has been advertised\.
Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task\.
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods \(90% of time\)\. May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs\. \(5% of time\)\.
Equipment and Machines
Standard office equipment \(PC, telephone, printer, etc\.\)\.
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical\. Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required\.
Other Essential Functions
Must be able to work in a team atmosphere\. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation\. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others\.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer\. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law\. Jacobs is a background screening, drug\-f