We are looking for a dedicated Surgical Assistant to join our team in providing assistance to our surgical team. As a Surgical Assistant, you should be a good team player with strong communication skills. You should also demonstrate technical skills and a strong working knowledge of surgical tools and equipment and basic medical tasks.
- Determining the availability and inspecting sterile and non-sterile surgical equipment, tools, and supplies.
- Covering patients with surgical drapes to ensure and maintain a sterile operating field, removing patients' body hair, and disinfecting the incision site.
- Applying sutures, staples, clips, and drainage systems and clamping, or cauterizing blood vessels to control bleeding.
- Assisting with the positioning of patients' bodies to protect against nerve damage or circulation impairment and assessing the patients' body conditions after surgery.
- Maintaining an unobstructed operating field with surgical retractors, sponges, and suctioning and irrigating equipment.
- Assisting the surgical team with gowning or gloving and passing instruments or supplies to the Surgeon.
- Assisting with the application of dressings, casts, splints, braces, and other devices.
- Graduation and completion from an accredited Surgical Assistant program, with passing a Certification exam.
- Obtaining a Department of Health License from the District of Columbia.
- 3-5 years of experience, with a working knowledge of surgical procedures within multiple specialties (Orthopedics, General, GYN, Plastics)
- Ability to communicate, and perform well with others in an Ambulatory Surgery Center environment.