Concrete Division: Project Engineer / Assistant Project Manager
The Project Engineer / Assistant Project Manager will provide oversight for concrete phases of construction projects including coordinating and managing job site team, material and equipment; and ensuring that specifications are being followed and work is proceeding on schedule, within budget, and with the highest level of quality. The Project Engineer / Assistant Project Manager will report directly to the Executive Director and will be a primary working partner on all phases of the project lifecycle.
- Cost estimation: engage in the process of total project cost estimation, analyzing design & structural documents and specifications, consulting with in-house staff, and benchmarking historical project cost data to determine accurate, complete, thorough budgets for construction.
- Design documentation: during the Preconstruction Phase, analyze all design documents (Architectural, Structural, MEP) for constructability, preemptively resolving conflicts and identifying value engineering opportunities.
- Administrative management: manage the Subcontractor bidding process during Preconstruction. Prepare subcontracts for concrete materials and labor; this includes concrete, rebar, stud rails, post-tensioning, formwork, tower and mobile cranes, and any other miscellaneous concrete materials. Participate in negotiations related to these items as necessary. Manage change orders, submittals, and RFI’s during Construction.
- Safety management: develop safety plan and logistics plan, update Cal OSHA Compliance Concrete Field Safety Manual, notify Cal Osha of new project starts.
- Coordination: proactively drive alignment of the overall project schedule, critical path of construction, planning of work sequences well advance, and following budgetary guidelines. Coordinate Concrete activities with JSS Field Superintendents.
- Quality management: proactively manage and coordinate the timing, accuracy, delivery and preparation of materials and products used in the assembly of the project.
- Jobsite management: Work with the Executive Director and Site Foreman to ensure that forming systems are coordinated with the engineer of record and are fully engineered and safe. Design concrete formwork, order formwork materials, schedule concrete/shotcrete, pumping, and subcontractors; track and log concrete and pumps; provide formwork details for field implementation. Manage documentation of daily site activities, events, performance and progress with Project Superintendents.
Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience working with a general contractor or concrete contractor in a managerial role.
- Direct experience with multi-family, urban infill construction projects preferred, and working knowledge of Type I and Type V construction methods required.
- Demonstrate commitment to our core values: passion, integrity, excellence, and professionalism.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to take action confidently and decisively.
- Excellent team development skills, confident management style, and proven organizational abilities.
- Direct, clear and effective communications style with all field personnel and in-house team members.
- Easily manage and prioritize a broad range of multiple, competing project tasks and management challenges.
- Manage competing priorities of business/budgetary requirements, organizational challenges, project scheduling and milestones, and relationship management.
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative, the ability to quickly study and react to complex issues, effective conflict resolution, and outreach/escalation to Senior Management when appropriate.
JS Sullivan Overview
JS Sullivan Development is a privately operated, entrepreneurial and highly successful real estate development and construction company specializing in ground-up development of mixed use, urban infill projects in San Francisco. We directly manage every aspect of the development process including acquisition, entitlements, construction, and sales. Our proud record of successfully completed projects is recognized by lenders, partners, and industry associates. Each employee has a special place of importance in serving our clients and we take great pride in building a team of dynamic professionals who will thrive in our work culture. The company culture is energetic, engaging, creative and progressive. We want every employee to have a passion for our mission, to support our clients, and to demonstrate commitment to the Company’s success.
The Project Engineer / Assistant Project Manager position is offered as a full-time position with a compensation package that will be commensurate with the skills and experience of the candidate. JS Sullivan Development offers a comprehensive Health Care Benefits package, competitive vacation/PTO accrual, and eligibility for our annual bonus program.