J&J Medical Device Companies: As the world's most comprehensive medical devices business, we are building on a century of experience, merging science and technology, to shape the future of health and benefit even more people around the world. With our unparalleled breadth, depth and reach across surgery, orthopedics and interventional solutions, we're working to profoundly change the way care is delivered. We are in this for life. For more information, visit www.jnjmedicaldevices.com.
The IoT Embedded Systems Developer role sits within Johnson & Johnson's R&D Product Technology Innovation group whose mission is to reach more patients and restore more lives. We invite you to be part of a team that is transforming the healthcare industry by way of Digital Surgery! By combining surgical technologies with real-time data intelligence within the Operating Room, we will elevate the standard of care and improve surgical outcomes.
We are looking for a talented IoT Embedded Systems Developer to implement the vision and architecture of our embedded connectivity products throughout our medical devices portfolio. Our ideal candidate will be an energetic self-starter and systems thinker with a proven ability to translate business requirements into technical solutions. This candidate will be a hardworking change agent and capable of driving the success of IoT projects across the J&J Medical Devices sector to provide a connected surgical ecosystem for our doctors and surgeons! We are looking for quick learners with passion and enthusiasm for tinkering, prototyping, and keeping pace with industry trends in IoT.
The Product Technology Team places a large emphasis on enhancing individual strengths to not only accelerate delivery but propel career growth forward. As a team, we are committed to cultivating a supportive environment and will provide many opportunities for learning new skill sets. We invite you to be part of our lasting impact on patient lives by joining a ground-breaking team in the world of surgical innovation.
- Partner with R&D Product Lines to deliver the "Edge" and Gateway IoT development and architecture.
- Implement software components of robust, embedded IoT and Gateway devices that communicate to IoT Platforms.
- Develop agents utilizing our IoT device SDK.
- Create and test products according to the specifications and software development process.
- Produce defect-free software while balancing execution efficiency, memory consumption, and maintainability.
- Participate in software design reviews, conduct peer code reviews, and provide input and feedback to other members of the development team.
- Create design documents to define complex software systems and features.
- Implement standards in the areas of device provisioning, remote software upgrades, and remote access.
- Work with medical device software engineers to identity the telemetry data ingestion strategy considering computing power and the business value of the data.
- Partner across multiple operating segments including application development and Cybersecurity to realize the IoT vision.
- Collaborate across the J&J matrix to deliver standard IoT solution(s).
- Partner with the R&D Product Development organizations to understand their IoT needs, develop use cases, generate processes, and develop overall solution requirements including application definition, integration, security, and system configurations.
- Provide technical and thought leadership for the development and integration of new IoT solutions.
- Participate in virtual teams, meet project deadlines and implement innovative new connected medical device products following SDLC processes.
- Deliver on requirements from different directions, always orienting yourself to the concrete needs of the patient.
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering or related engineering field is required. A master's degree in IT or related Engineering field is preferred
- A minimum of 3 years of practical work experience in an IT, engineering, or related technical field is required.
- A minimum of 1 year of development experience in C, C , or Python is required.
- A minimum of 1 year of development experience with IoT Protocols such as MQTT, AMQP, DDS or others is required.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience with REST APIs is required.
- A minimum of 1 year of development experience with over the air upgrades to the software and firmware of an embedded systems (e.g., A/B seamless update) is required.
- Strong hands-on experience de-bugging system-level issues is required.
- Working knowledge of hard and soft, real-time requirements, scheduling and analysis is preferred.
- Working knowledge with embedded security issues and prevention measures is preferred.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience with embedded operating systems such as Linux, Windows, etc. is preferred.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience with real-time operating systems RTOS or QNX preferred.
- Experience with Azure IoT Edge Run-time is preferred.
- Experience with IoT patterns like store and forward, fault tolerance and resiliency, self-healing apps, etc. is preferred.
- This position may sit anywhere in the US with a strong preference towards Cincinnati, OH or Somerville, NJ and may require up to 25% travel, domestic and international.