The basic function of the Service Manager is to provide direction and focus to the service team. It is the overall company philosophy to provide the best of customer service always; this department is the command center for such delivery. It is furthermore his/her function to assist in developing strategies for providing excellence in service and to assist in accomplishing these and other company goals.
BASIC FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
The Service Manager is given the authority necessary to conduct, manage and administer all matters relating to the service activities of the company by the President. This authority includes but is not limited to the following:
- Provide the guidance, counsel and direction to all Service Technicians and other Service Department employees.
- Set the limits for the activities of the Service Technicians and other Service Department employees so that the company may proceed towards established objectives without undue involvement by the Service Manager in the day to day activities.
- Recommend hiring, firing, promoting, demoting or disciplining all staff reporting directly to her/him.
- Taking any reasonable action necessary to carry out responsibilities of management, so long as such action does not deviate from established company policies and is consistent with sound business judgment.
The Service Manager reports to the Director of Parts & Service
The following ROLES report to (are accountable to) the Service Manager:
- FIELD SERVICE COORDINATOR*
- SHOP FOREMAN*
- SERVICE TECHNICIANS*
- TRUCK DRIVER*
The following ROLES inform/consult (but are not accountable to) the Service Manager
- PM COORDINATOR*
- WARRANTY ADMINISTRATOR*
- PARTS MANAGER/ASSISTANT*
*As assigned to responsible division
Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of any employee must be conducted with customer service as a prime focus always. The principle duties and responsibilities of this position, however, will consist of but not be limited to the following;
Supervision of direct reports
- Supervise the staff reporting to him/her in a manner which assures service is delivered quickly, efficiently and effectively.
- Recommend hiring departmental personnel as necessary. This includes preparing advertisements, interviewing candidates, checking references, etc.
- Evaluate departmental personnel according to the schedule established by company policy. Issue warnings for violations of company policy or substandard performance as necessary. Discuss with the President any problem employees who are being considered for termination.
- Recommend wage changes for the Service Department staff.
- Recommend termination of any departmental personnel under their direct supervision.
- Train departmental personnel as necessary.
- Enforce company policies and procedures within the department. This includes safety and asset security.
Responsible for contributing to the development of Service Department goals and objectives.
Assist the President in the development of strategies for the delivery of service.
Provide input to pricing, quality enhancement, industry trends and conditions as they relate to service.
Responsible for managing the scheduling and dispatching all Service Technicians in the following manner;
- Most efficient and effective.
- Client needs and priorities.
- Best possible service level under the circumstances.
Responsible for assisting the ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE by ensuring the customer is in good credit standing with JIT prior to dispatching service technicians.
Responsible for working with the FIELD SERVICE COORDINATOR, SHOP FOREMAN and CSS personnel to aid in developing estimates and finalizing quotes for service.
Responsible for supervising field work and providing technical assistance as necessary.
Responsible for maximizing Service Technician utilization and productivity.
Responsible for the reviewing invoices prior to billing, mark for corrections and update the workflow.
Responsible for assisting SERVICE WRITER in tracking down inactive work orders and promoting the prompt delivery of invoices to our customers.
Responsible for providing inside client service through effective use of telephone inquiry and follow up.
Responsible for Managing the outstanding service call backlog and maintaining the response time to within the company guidelines.
Responsible for keeping abreast of vendor warranty policies and procedures and filing warranty claims appropriately.
Responsible for achieving company goals and objectives as they relate to the Service Department activities.
Responsible for keeping abreast of competitor service practices and prices.
Responsible for developing and implementing Service Department action plans designed to improve our customer service level and generate long term growth.
Responsible for building long term goodwill with our clients through a strong focus on customer service. This includes 1-2 days per month on customer site visits with technicians, CSSRs or Sales staff
Maintain and analyze departmental activity records and reports.
Establish minimum service activity levels and service goals and monitor performance against them.
Ensure all Service Technicians are continually updated on the latest in product, materials, service delivery and customer requirements.
Maintain open communications with all personnel within the company.
The Service Manager directly impacts the service level, customer satisfaction and overall company image. Service provides the greatest potential for gross profit contribution and overall company growth.
REQUIRED: High School diploma
PREFERRED: Some technical college experience is greatly preferred but not required.
REQUIRED: A minimum of five years’ service experience in a service environment along with five years of supervisory experience in closely related environment.
PREFERRED: Industrial Service Department management experience in addition to the above.
Skills & Knowledge:
Must be able to understand and analyze service reports, have in depth knowledge of the fork lift and material handling industries, can relate to vendors, customers and employees. Must be technically competent and capable of diagnosing client system problems, and estimating labor and materials.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job.
Pay rate is negotiable based on candidate's experience.