Media Specialist-Health Action
- Expired: January 27, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
Developing creative, accurate, and engaging media content for a variety of audiences is at the heart of the Media Specialist role at JBS. This position is part of a multidisciplinary team that develops and edits content and key messaging to support government health agencies that aim to address health needs and challenges. In this role, you will provide media and public outreach support services and will evaluate the impact of those services (e.g., through metrics analyses, data gathering, performance measurement, and surveys or other instruments that gather user input). You’ll also conduct media planning activities, research and write press releases and media advisories, and recommend and implement public relations strategies.
The Media Specialist will join a motivated group of professionals who specialize in media and public relations, communications planning and evaluation, graphic design, multimedia production, and content development. Our team is passionate about creating and sustaining positive changes in public health and well-being that improve the lives of real people every day.
Ability to obtain public trust clearance (candidate may be required to obtain a PIV card/badge from a sponsoring NIH Institute to conduct essential job functions)
We invite you to augment our team by applying your media knowledge, skills, and proven expertise to the core functions of this role:
- Develop evidence-based, culturally responsive public health media strategies, plans, and partnership outreach and engagement tactics to connect with a range of audiences
- Develop and tailor media messages and other communications to reach, engage, and meet the needs of diverse target populations and stakeholder groups, including the general public, consumers of behavioral health services, healthcare and behavioral health service providers, policy makers, the media, and federal agency staff
- Assist with the design and integrated execution of cutting-edge media evaluation strategies, media monitoring, and analytic activities across traditional, digital, and social channels (e.g., through media monitoring platforms such as Cision, HootSuite, Google Analytics)
- Leverage the Cision media monitoring tool to: 1) develop and maintain curated lists of reporters and outlets, send email campaigns, and report on analytics such as open, click, and bounce rates; 2) develop tailored Boolean searches for topics; 3) review system-collected data for relevance to designated topics, provide curated lists of clips, and develop detailed narrative analyses of media coverage.
- Develop metrics summary reports for clients that indicate the extent to which public relations activities and materials are reaching the intended target audiences, delivering messages as intended, and having the desired reach and impact
- Conduct landscape analyses, environmental scans, and audience needs assessments
- Develop strategies and recommendations to identify media sources for placement of content
- Write and edit media-focused communications such as talking points, speeches, and other content (e.g., press releases, press kits, media advisories, matte and newsletter articles, blog posts, social media messages, website content, multimedia products) per federal plain language guidelines and in accordance with an editorial calendar
- Help execute press calls, press conferences, scheduling media interviews, and other activities
Our ideal candidate will have applied experience in the above functions and will also:
- Understand and show skill in navigating the federal contracting environment, including the ability to support proposal work and to interface effectively and professionally with clients (experience supporting a federal contract for NIH or other public health government agency such as CDC, CMS, FDA, HRSA, SAMHSA, or similar is preferred)
- Have a history in health-focused communications, media relations, journalism, and/or social and other new media (experience with mental health and substance use content preferred)
- Successfully reach and actively engage the intended audiences by increasing their awareness, shifting beliefs and attitudes, and encouraging changes that improve the behavioral health and overall wellness of individuals, families, and communities
- Stay abreast of fast-changing terms and concepts related to substance use and mental illness
- Bring to the table and leverage established professional networks of health-focused reporters, outlet managers, and other media influencers covering behavioral health topics
- Demonstrate success in communications efforts targeting diverse audiences including consumers (especially underserved/disenfranchised segments) and health professionals
- Have proven ability to apply social marketing and behavior change principles that maximize reach, engagement, and impact
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, media, communications, or related field; a combination of a degree in one of these areas and a degree, certification, or equivalent work experience in health, social science, or a medical specialty is strongly preferred
- Ability to obtain public trust clearance (candidate may be required to obtain a PIV card/badge from a sponsoring NIH Institute to conduct essential job functions)
- Language: English fluency (oral and written)
- At least 3 years of experience working in health-related media or communications field
- Experience in strategic communications planning, media campaign execution, media ad buys, media monitoring tools, and a range of social media platforms
- Success in producing high-quality deliverables in a fast-paced collaborative environment
- Knowledge: Journalism, media studies, or health communications; media management; evidence-based communications theory and practice; and project coordination. Identifying issues and developing effective, innovative solutions
- Software: Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required; working knowledge of design software such as Adobe Creative Cloud, and email campaign software such as MailChimp preferred. Candidate must be proficient with using media monitoring tools, preferably Cision, to develop reporter and outlet lists, send email campaigns and review analytics, as well as analyze and provide narrative assessments of related data.
- Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills. High degree of organization, attention to detail, timelines, and record keeping. Ability to develop and maintain positive, responsive working relationships with staff and clients. Ability to manage work and self effectively and independently while remaining flexible and actively collaborating with colleagues. Able to handle numerous tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED: This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
This position is subject to availability of funds and to any and all restrictions contained in the contract or contracts that provide funding for this position.
If you meet the minimum requirements for this position, please click on the "Apply" link posted below and complete the application. Please include a cover letter, resume, and at least three (3) professional references.
Our company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Applicants can learn more about the company's status as an equal opportunity employer by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster at EEOPost.pdf.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
BusinessView all jobs at JBS International
Get fresh Director Audience Marketing jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.