CMV Driver Trainer Job Description
The J.J. Keller CMV Driver Trainer position is responsible for conducting training for drivers operating commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) between 10,001 and 26,000 pounds. These driver-trainees are employed by J.J. Keller's clients and their partners. Training will consist of classroom instruction, range training, road training and a road test.
- Conducts classroom training on DOT regulations, safe vehicle operation, and other topics related to the safe and effective operation of a Commercial Motor Vehicle. Administers tests to determine pass/fail.
- Administers road test to evaluate the driver’s ability to effectively and safely manage the vehicle in environments they will encounter on the job. Determines final pass/fail on driving skills.
- Assists management with identifying and obtaining appropriate training locations (classroom, range, and behind-the-wheel), vehicles and other resources necessary for training.
- Works with support staff to ensure training materials and other resources are available and operational when needed.
- Provides feedback on training effectiveness and opportunities for improvement to training development staff.
- Carries out responsibilities in a fair, ethical and non-discriminatory manner and ensure that staff follows these same guidelines.
- Manages expenses in line with departmental budgets and margin targets.
- Enforces and supports all company policies and procedures. Fully supports the company's commitment to safety and the environment and strives to maintain a clean, healthy and safe workplace.
- At least 1+ year of CMV driver training experience, both in classroom and on-the-road.
- High school diploma or GED.minimum
- Possess valid license for the type(s) of vehicles used in the training.(CDL Class A and B)
- In-depth knowledge of Commercial Motor Vehicle regulations.
- Proficient in the use of a PC and MS Office Suite.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work remotely.
- Independent decision-making skills and good judgment.
Work is performed in multiple environments, including office, classroom, and vehicle. Work involves the operation of a commercial motor vehicle on a range as well as on public roads.
While most of the training will be conducted within driving distance, occasional travel to other training center locations may be required based on business needs (10-20%).