Installs, services and repairs environmental-control systems; utilizing knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting and structural layout.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Mounts compressor and condenser units on platform or floor, using hand tools, following blueprints or engineering specifications.
• Fabricates, assembles and installs ductwork and chassis parts, using portable metalworking tools and welding equipment.
• Installs evaporator unit in chassis or in air-duct system, using hand tools.
• Cuts and bends tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment and tools.
• Cuts and threads pipe, using machine-threading or hand-threading equipment.
• Joins tubing or pipes to various refrigerating units by means of sleeves, couplings or unions, and solders joints, using torch, forming complete circuit for refrigerant.
• Installs expansion and discharge valves in circuit.
• Connects motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connects control panels to power source.
• Installs air and water filters in completed installation.
• Injects small amount of refrigerant into compressor to test systems and add Freon gas to build up prescribed operating pressure.
• Observes pressure and vacuum gauges and adjusts controls to insure proper operation.
• Tests joints and connections for gas leaks, using gauges or soap and water solution.
• Wraps pipes in insulation batting and secures them in place with cement or wire bands.
• Replaces defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units, using electrician’s hand tools and test equipment.
• May install, repair and service air conditioners, ranging from fifteen to twenty tons cooling capacity, in warehouses and small factory buildings.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience and Skill Requirements
• Ability to perform most complex and unusual tasks of the craft without supervision.
• Must be able to read and understand blueprints, construction drawings, schematics and diagrams as they pertain to the craft.
• Ability to perform work of the craft in a rapid and efficient manner under extreme conditions.
• Must be able to perform work safely under hazardous conditions.
• Able to troubleshoot and repair most complex problems.
• Expert knowledge of craft theory and craft materials with the ability to apply the theory and select the proper materials.
• Trained in all types and sizes of air conditioning refrigeration and evaporative cooling equipment.
• Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certification to purchase and handle ozone depleting chemical as outlined in federal and state regulations.
• Steam boiler knowledge is a must for this position.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs., squat, bend, stoop and kneel for short periods, climb a ladder, stand for long periods of time, constant arm extensions.
• Occasional exposure to elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, but none to the point of being disagreeable. May involve minor safety hazards where likely result would be cuts, bruises, etc.
This job description is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.