Please note: This role is based in Plymouth, MI! Also, please be aware, this particular position we will not be sponsoring visa's at this time.
Analyzes engine and vehicle testing to validate and certify production projects for North American applications. Applies engineering principles to improve the overall effectiveness and resource utilization of the Powertrain test lab. Troubleshoots problems and develops solutions to meet complex testing requirements.
- Analyzes diesel engine calibration and emission certification testing on engine and chassis dynamometer test stands to ensure the quality of data generated meets customer requirements.
- Implements new test systems and measurement equipment into test cells. Investigates new technologies and suppliers to improve overall testing efficiency and effectiveness.
- Troubleshoots data quality and data acquisition issues and develops solutions or identifies vendors to supply solutions to encountered problems.
- Creates new and improves existing key processes and procedures related to KPI (key performance indicator) goals.
- Works with outside contractors and engineering facilities supplying services to our organization. Supports off site testing activities as required. Evaluates new regulatory requirements and their impact on test procedures.
- Attends conferences and training classes related to test systems, measurement equipment, and data acquisition software.
- Supports instrumentation and data acquisition tasks for vehicle based testing programs.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. 2+ years of experience with engine or vehicle testing. Experience with test automation equipment, emission benches, fuel and air flow measurement devices, and engine / powertrain control modules preferred. Diesel or gasoline engine calibration experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
Detailed understanding of principles of internal combustion engines and diesel exhaust after-treatment systems. Familiarity with federal regulations regarding engine testing procedures (40 CFR Part 1065/1066). Proficient in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Previous experience with measurement and analysis software, such as Matlab, LabView, UniPlot, and INCA. Effective oral and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills to work effectively with customers and technicians.
The employee must be able to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer. At times this is a sedentary position in a controlled lab environment which requires only occasional reaching, stooping, and lifting of items weighing 5 lbs. or less. At other times this position requires frequent bending, reaching, crouching, kneeling, pushing/pulling, standing, walking, and lifting of 25-60 lbs. and heavy lifting on rare occasions.
Must be able to participate in occasional travel/weekend work; less than 10%.