Director of Global Compliance
- Expired: December 11, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure the Internet remains trustworthy-open, globally connected, secure, and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is for everyone. But it's more than just a privilege; it's our responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users, policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking, technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the Internet. If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be part of our mission.
What You'll Do
The Internet Society's Director of Global Compliance will be responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring global compliance programs with respect to (a) statutory or regulatory requirements concerning Internet Society and its operations, and (b) all internal policies and procedures governing such operations.
This position sets strategies and overseas operations in the organization's compliance function, which ensures adherence to laws, regulations, or standards impacting the organization. This role will report to the General Counsel as a member of the legal team and will have opportunity to lead and play an important role in initiatives such as identifying and filling legal compliance gaps, operationalizing and monitoring legal developments and implementing them into template legal documents, compliance and enterprise risk management as well as serving as a key cross-functional contact.
Remote (ideal location Washington DC/ Virginia/ Maryland)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The general duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Review of existing compliance procedures and controls for ensuring adequacy and completeness of adherence.
- Development and implementation of recommendations for improvements to endure risk mitigation.
- Administer and oversee import/ export controls, including screening denied party lists, and monitoring sanctions and embargoed countries
- Audits organizational programs or practices and identifies actual or potential compliance risk
- Development and oversight of control systems to prevent or deal with violations of legal guidelines and internal policies within the global nature of Internet Society operations
- Evaluation of the efficiency of controls, processes and policies with continuous improvement as necessary or advisable
- Revision of procedures, reports etc. periodically to identify hidden risks or non-conformity issues
- In conjunction with the relevant internal organization, including legal, draft, modification and implementation of Internet Society policies
- Collaboration with Internet Society legal counsel, finance and human resources department to monitor enforcement of standards, regulations and policies
- Assessment of proposed future activities to identify possible compliance risks and to otherwise conduct both recommended and required risk assessments
- Develops and delivers compliance-related training sessions.
- Monitor and maintain current knowledge of regulatory developments within and or outside of ISOC as well as evolving best practices in compliance control
- Preparation and presentation of reports for senior management and external regulatory bodies as appropriate
- Other tasks as assigned
- JD or BS/BA in finance, business administration or related field
- Proven experience as compliance manager with at least 10 years of experience as a compliance professional
- Experience with policy creation, establishing and overseeing corporate compliance programs, including sanction compliance framework and providing relevant training to employee
- Experience with U.S. and global trade compliance measures, including export controls and economic sanctions and:
- National and Internal Import/Export Control Regulations
- DPS checks
- SDN List
- Experience with cultivating a culture of compliance, interacting with Senior Management to raise awareness of Sanctions and Export Control trends, emerging issues, remedial actions, or enhancements to the program.
- Serve as a confidential point of contact for staff to seek clarification on compliance issues, or report irregularities.
- Methodical and diligent with outstanding planning abilities
- An analytical mind able to "see" the complexities of procedures and regulations
- Experience and proven ability to work with senior management and external advisors and resources
- Excellent communication skills
- Relevant professional certifications is a plus - certified compliance professional, certified privacy professional, etc.
- Ability to travel when needed
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes compensation commensurate with your qualifications and the ability to work remotely. We will support you by providing the tools you need in this role, and also provide other benefits such as flexible time off and parental leave policies. Compensation and benefit package for this position will be paid in local currency based on on the work location/country's market data and the successful candidates qualifications.
The Internet Society is proud to be equal opportunity employer, and do not discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or military/veteran status. All our employees are empowered to share their expertise and to collaborate with each other on an equal basis to achieve personal and professional goals.
Our people are our greatest strength. The Internet Society is committed to a culture of diversity and inclusion, where everyone is valued for their distinct contributions. The collective sum of our individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent are key to our success, and make us who we are today.
Get fresh Internet Operations jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.