Tier III Network Engineer - REMOTE
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Be part of an innovative and exciting company!
Internet2 is a non-profit high-tech internet organization that plays a strategic role in supporting member-driven advanced research and the higher education technology community. Internet2 offers excellent compensation, work environment and benefits. Come check out what we have to offer you, our community and customers! Join us now, we are waiting for you!
This will be a remote position.
As a Tier III Network Engineer at Internet2, you will have a key role in bringing new, cutting edge services to fruition on the Internet2 network. Your primary work will include taking reference designs, business specifications, and customer requests - building and testing those configurations - and seeing those changes successfully deployed to serve our members. You will also contribute to the roadmap for our technology implementations, continuously improve the operational systems, and assist our community with the optimal implementation of our services. You will solve complex problems for our community, including assisting them with debugging and problem solving of transport applications on an end-to-end basis - including multiple networks at the national, regional, and campus. You will also serve on a team which includes an escalation point in support of our operations teams and periodically participate in on-call rotations.
- Performs complex functions, establishes priorities, resolves issues, accomplishes most tasks without guidance, rarely refers to supervisors.
Participate in the area-specific design process, supporting other group members, BRM, and cross-functional teams to develop optimized solutions. Participate in roadmap development for our technology implementations.
Translate approved designs into deployable configurations.
Test configurations in the lab to ensure they are deployable, supportable, and optimized.
Collaborate with the automation team to integrate configurations into the software architecture (incl NSO, MCP, etc) and monitoring stack.
Develop MOPs (with engineering staff) for deploying routing, peering, long-haul, and fiber infrastructure.
Receive and work to resolve escalation requests from the break-fix engineering team.
Recognize when an issue needs escalated to higher level engineering staff and/or the vendor.
Participate in daily reviews of operations tickets and NOC performance.
Participate in logistics coordination.
Work (with PPMO) to develop and continuously improve processes and procedures for both new deployment and problem resolution.
Qualifications and Experience
- Preferred: Bachelor's degree in computer Science, engineering, physical sciences
- Minimum: Equivalent relevant experience
- Minimum: IP networking fundamentals and direct experience with implementing applications using IP protocols; experience with Internet ecosystems, including open exchanges, cloud/peering, colocation, and transport infrastructure; experience with physical connectivity at all layers, including DC cabling, power distribution, cross-connects, DWDM transmission systems
- Preferred: 5 years of experience in a similar environment (multi-site campus, ISP, WAN, carrier network) experience with global backbone architectures; unix and scripting experience; automation experience (including NSO); understanding of alarming and monitoring infrastructure; in-depth experience with internet routing protocols such as ISIS, OSPF, and SR-MPLS; experience with Cisco NCS/ASR/8200 platforms (ISO-XR) and Juniper EX/MX platforms; experience with route policy; traffic analysis and troubleshooting skills, specifically applied to BGP
AddressWest Hartford, CT
TechnologyView all jobs at Internet 2