Under the general direction and supervision of the Clinical Staff Coordinator and/or Provider, prepares patients for clinical encounters to include patient screening and collection of health history, as well as coordinates and follows-up on patient care.
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Graduation from a Medical Assistant Program or Equivalent
Graduation from a Practical Nursing Program or Equivalent
One-year recent experience in a health care setting preferred. Current National Medical Assistant Certification preferred. Current Alaska Practical Nursing License or equivalent preferred. Current certification in BLS. Cultural competence in working with diverse populations required.
1. Report work as scheduled, on time and prepared to start working. Remain at work for their entire work schedule.
2. Ability to perform CSS I duties.
3. Meets with and timely responds to patients in your provider panel(s) who walk into the center for any reason.
4. Performs clinical procedures within appropriate scope of practice (e.g. pediatric and adult injections, tympanograpy, audiometry, spirometry, dispenses medications, venipuncture, EKG’s, vision screening, dressing changes, etc.)
5. Assists provider with procedures.
6. Performs patient follow-up and coordinates care (e.g. obtains prior authorizations, completes patient forms/documents for provider review, follows-up on abnormal results, etc) according to clinic protocol, and/or orders from Nurse Case Manager.
7. Refills patient medications according to clinic protocol.
8. Assesses patient’s paperwork to determine what needs to be done, including review health record (e.g., health history, labs, imaging, immunizations) and complete it within scope of abilities to give to provider.
9. Enters in and tracks patient recalls (childhood and adult immunizations, future blood work, abnormal paps, colonoscopies, etc.).
10. Tracks outpatient referrals to completion.
11. Completes, submits and tracks Pharmaceutical Company Prescription Assistance Applications, etc.
12. Operates and maintains center’s medical equipment according to manufacture instructions and clinic protocols.
13. Reviews and coordinates with other departments and integrates work with other staff to ensure timely and accurate patient flow.
14. Participates in meetings.
15. Participates in continuous quality improvement activities.
16. Complies with center’s policies and procedures.
17. Utilizes specialized office and medical equipment according to procedure.
18. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Pediatric and adult injection skills.
Current computer skills.
Knowledge of common medical practice equipment.
Knowledge of common outpatient medical documentation.
Knowledge of common office equipment (copier, fax, printer, etc.).
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
Ability to work under pressure.
Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
Ability to work independently and as a team member.
Position is based in the City of Fairbanks; however, position responsibilities may require travel both within the Fairbanks North Star Borough (FNSB) and Denali Borough. Use of personal vehicle is required for travel; therefore, a valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance is required. Position may require working occasional evenings and weekends.