Under the direction and supervision of the Behavioral Health Director, this position provides services to patients with a broad range of medical needs including mental health and substance use disorders to assist them manage their health and social needs, performs assessments of patient medical and/or social services needs; links patients to care; and maintains referral, tracking and follow-up systems related to their care.
Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field of health or behavioral health.
One year of recent experience in the direct delivery of counseling and/or case management, preferred. Cultural competence in working with diverse populations required.
1. Functions as member of an interdisciplinary health care team.
2. Performs brief psychological, tobacco, alcohol, misuse of prescription drugs, and/or use of illegal drugs and social needs assessments (AUDIT, PHQ, GAGE, GAD, etc.).
3. Provides across the lifespan brief counseling on tobacco cessation, alcohol, substance abuse and/or other appropriate health intervention(s).
4. Collaborates and maintains with patient and his/her family to develop culturally appropriate plan of care.
5. Develops referral, tracking and follow-up plan(s) to coordinate patient care.
6. Discusses issues, concerns and treatment options with patient, relevant family member(s) and provider and documents the information per protocol in the Electronic Health Record (EHR) system.
7. Visits community shelters (i.e. Fairbanks Rescue Mission and Interior Alaska Center for Non-Violent Living) twice a week to dialogue with residents and shelter employees to motivate and assist clients to navigate and receive timely primary and other health and social services program access.
8. Maintains community referral systems.
9. Participates in and reports on assigned community behavioral health meetings.
10. Participates in continuous quality improvement and risk management activities.
11. Complies with center’s policies and procedures.
12. Participates in internal meetings.
13. Integrates work with other staff to ensure timely and accurate flow.
14. Utilizes office equipment including personal computer.
15. Remains current with standards of primary health care practices and mental health and substance use disorder evidence- based treatment strategies.
16. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to work as successful primary health care team.
Knowledge of current methods of behavioral health and evidence-based counseling and case management.
Current computer skills.
Knowledge of common office equipment (copier, fax, printer, etc.).
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
Ability to work under pressure.
Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
Ability to work independently and as a team member.
Position is based in the City of Fairbanks; however, position responsibilities may require travel both within the Fairbanks North Star Borough (FNSB) and Denali Borough. Use of personal vehicle is required for travel; therefore, a valid driver’s license, proof of auto insurance and registration is required.