Skip to Main Content
← Back to Jobs

Biological Science Technician (Fisheries)

Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service Reno, NV
  • Posted: April 28, 2019
  • Full-Time

  • Duties
This position is part of the R8-Lahontan National Fish Hatchery Complex. As a Biological Science Technician (Fisheries) you will perform a full range of assignments in support of professional biologists who are responsible for conserving aquatic species and their habitats, conservation of at-risk species, restoration, and recovery of listed species.
This a temporary appointment not-to-exceed 1 year, which may be extended for a total appointment of 2 years.
Learn more about this agency
  • Perform fish culture for all phases of cold-water fish hatchery production for threatened, lacustrine trout. Work includes spawning of adult brood stock, care for eggs, fry and fish throughout the rearing and distribution cycle; feeding of all life stages of trout, cleaning and maintenance of tanks, raceways , reporting any signs of illness, disease, discontent and general physical condition.
  • Perform fish restoration work including: tagging, culture, monitoring populations and spawning migrations; assisting in operations of fish passage facilities, biological surveys, assessing fish habitat and aquatic conditions, assessing distribution, abundance and species of fish.
  • Perform data collection and analysis, including: compiling, recording and entering data in tabular, graphic and digital form. Data includes species composition, relative abundance, habitat requirements, seasonal movement and distribution, spawning habitat and behavior and quantification or qualification of habitat conditions.
Travel Required
50% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Supervisory status
Promotion Potential
  • #### Job family (Series)
0404 Biological Science Technician
Similar jobs
  • Biological Technicians
  • Technicians, Biological
  • Requirements
Conditions of Employment
  • Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
  • Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
  • Resume and supporting documents (See How To Apply)
  • Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation
  • Official U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service uniform required
  • Valid state driver's license
  • May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
  • May include snorkeling and swimming
Only experience and education obtained by the close date will be considered.
You may qualify at the GS-05 level, if you fulfill one of the following qualification requirements
A. I have one full-time year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-4 level. Specialized experience is defined as: 1) Monitoring fish species populations and distributions; and 2) collecting, recording, and organizing scientific data. NOTE: Your resume must clearly provide sufficient detail showing you performing both these duties to be found qualified.
B. I qualify for this position at the GS-05 level because I have successfully completed a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with a major study or at least 24 semester hours/36 quarter hours in any combination of scientific or technical courses such as biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture, or mathematics. At least 6 semester hours of courses must be directly related to fishery subjects, such as fish biology, ichthyology, limnology, aquaculture, etc.
C. Although I do not meet the complete requirements of responses A or B above, I qualify for this position at the GS-05 level because I have a combination of qualifying specialized experience and education as described in A or B above. To combine education and experience, determine your total qualifying experience as a percentage of the experience required. Then determine your qualifying education as a percentage of the required education. The two percentages must equal at least 100% of the Basic Qualification. Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours of a course of study leading to a bachelor's degree is creditable. This option is still subject to the 6 semester hours in aquatic subjects requirement.
PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts.
GRADUATE EDUCATION:One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION:If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit:
Additional information
**Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)****:These programs apply to employees who have been or may be involuntarily separated (e.g. reduction in force, declining to relocate/transfer outside their local commuting area) from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified (score 85 or above) for the position; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP** eligibility (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal or Removal Notice; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; or Removal and most recent performance appraisal.). For more information visit:
To register or verify your registration go to the Selective Service System at
FWS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster.
The job will entail some swimming and snorkeling, however, it will not be a requirement for the position. Swift-water certification will be provided to those who are not already certified or need a refresher course.
We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of 05/08/2019.
A PCS move is not authorized.
TEMPORARY VACANCYMost Federal employees earn both annual and sick leave. For additional information, visit Leave Administration. Effective January 2015, employees on temporary appointments may be eligible for health benefits through the Federal Employees Health Benefits program and, if eligible, will receive the same government contribution as full-time permanent employees. To be eligible for consideration, temporary employees working full-time or part-time must be on appointments expected to last at least 90 days, or be on an intermittent work schedule and expected to work 130 hours per month for at least 90 days. Employees electing to participate in the FEHB will be responsible for the employee share of the premium while on the official agency roles, which is deducted from bi-weekly earnings. After separating from federal employment, employees will be offered to continue participation in FEHB under the Temporary Continuation of Coverage (TCC) option. Employees electing to continue coverage under the TCC provision will be responsible for the full premium amount plus a 2% administration fee.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 showing you were honorably discharged. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must atta

Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service

What email should the hiring manager reach you at?

By clicking the button above, I agree to the ZipRecruiter Terms of Use and acknowledge I have read the Privacy Policy, and agree to receive email job alerts.

What email should we contact you at once we get salary info from the hiring manager?

By clicking the button above, I agree to the ZipRecruiter Terms of Use and acknowledge I have read the Privacy Policy, and agree to receive email job alerts.

Our qualification feature is only available to registered members - what email address would you like for us to keep on file?

By clicking the button above, I agree to the ZipRecruiter Terms of Use and acknowledge I have read the Privacy Policy, and agree to receive email job alerts.