Staffing Respiratory Therapist
- Posted: over a month ago
Performs diagnostic and therapeutic respiratory procedures according to physician’s orders and the policies and procedures of the contracting employer. Assists in identifying current pulmonary problems and risks of pulmonary complications and recommends respiratory treatments. Appropriately uses supplies related to his/her job functions.
- Responds to cardiopulmonary emergencies to assist in the establishment of a patent airway, support ventilation and provide cardiac compressions.
- Transports intubated patients with responsibility for maintaining an open airway and adequate oxygenation in collaboration with other members of the health care team.
- Performs pulmonary function testing in accordance with physician’s orders and the contracting employer’s policies and procedures and as assigned.
- May assist the physician with a bronchoscopy procedure as assigned and as deemed competent by the contracting employer.
- Performs arterial punctures and arterial blood gas analysis in accordance with the contracting employer’s policies and procedures.
- Communicates laboratory values critical to the patient’s condition immediately to the physician and/or the designated nurse in accordance with the contracting employer’s policies and procedures.
- Administers approved respiratory medications in accordance with physician’s orders and the contracting employer’s policies and procedures and scope of practice.
- Recognizes changing patient conditions and emergency patient situations and intervenes in accordance with the contracting employer’s policies and procedures.
- Implements physician orders and communicates the patient’s response to procedures and treatments to the physician and/or the patient’s assigned nurse.
- Read and interprets policy and procedure manuals, written physician’s orders, equipment operating instructions and safety manuals.
- Presents instructional written and verbal information to patients, family, other healthcare providers.
- Interprets a variety of technical data (e.g. lab and diagnostic test results, monitoring equipment).
- Applies basic math to job situations (e.g. ventilator settings).
- Establishes effective relationships with patients, physicians, families/visitors, co-workers and superiors.
- Provides direct care to patients with a wide variety of diagnosis, conditions and diseases.
- Maintains a safe environment for all patients.
- Responds to emergency/disaster situations according to the contracting employer’s policies and procedures.
- Operates patient equipment and devices according to the manufacturer’s operating instructions and the contracting employer’s policies and procedures.
- Provides legible, clear written or electronic documentation of all patient treatment, procedures, and medications administered, as well as the patient’s response.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient information in accordance with contracting employer’s policies and procedures.
- May provide limited supervision to other respiratory personnel through task assignments, direction and evaluation of work completed.
- Works under the direct supervision of the contracting employer, who is also responsible for monitoring work in progress and reevaluating the status of the assigned work at the end of the shift/assignment.
- Completes training for new assignments/tasks and any subsequent competence validation per the direction and procedures of the contracting employer.
- Completes other assignments as requested and assigned.
- May have access to personal health information ("PHI") necessary to fulfill the above duties and responsibilities. Access to use and ability to disclose PHI is further defined by each organization/department.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements:
- Graduate from an accredited program/school of respiratory therapy education.
- A.A. Degree in respiratory therapy for graduates after 12/31/05.
- Current National Board of Respiratory Care certification (CRT) or registration (RRT).
- Current state license or certification as required by law or regulation and the contracting employer.
- Minimum of one (1) year of work experience as a respiratory care practitioner within the last five (5) years and experience as defined by the contracting employer.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) training, additional certifications may be required dependent upon facility requirements (e.g. ACLS, PALS).
- Meets applicable health requirements to provide patient care.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Effectively reads and communicates in the English language.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, including but not limited to the ability to manage stress appropriately, to make decision under pressure, and to handle multiple priorities.
- Ability to maintain and demonstrate professional behavior at all times.
Working Conditions & Physical Effort:
- Work is performed in clinics, schools, hospital, nursing homes, client homes or occupational settings.
- Ability to spend varying amounts of time sitting, standing and walking.
- Sufficient endurance to perform the required physical and mental tasks over long periods of time.
- Requires eye-hand coordination and fine motor function necessary to operate/calibrate equipment and prepare medications and solutions.
- Requires normal, correctable vision and hearing.
- Work environment involves frequent exposure to communicable diseases, blood borne pathogens and/or potentially infectious or hazardous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment (e.g. face masks, goggles, latex and or non-latex gloves).
- Work involves occasional exposure to potential electrical shock and to x-ray/electromagnetic energy.
- Ability to physically stretch, bend, stoop, twist, stand, sit, walk, reach and climb stairs.
- Ability to work in areas that are confined and/or crowded.
- Ability to read and interpret technical instructions related to the care of the patient/client.
- Ability to effectively deal with multiple changes.
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple functions or tasks.
- Physical activity is medium and requires lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling up to 50 lbs.
Interim HealthCare - Plantation FL
HealthcareView all jobs at Interim HealthCare - Plantation FL