Contractor - Disability, Discrimination Analyst - Paralegal
Department of Education
Paralegal/Legal Assistant position to support U.S. Department of Education and help ensure equal access to education in America by enforcing civil rights laws in our nation’s schools. Work directly with experienced attorneys and staff in furthering U.S. Department of Education’s mission to promote student achievement and prepare students for global competitiveness.
JOB DUTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Provide paralegal services to support various teams on a broad range of issues, including Program, Policy, FOIA, Customer Service, Enforcement, Management, and Regional and Headquarter teams.
- Work closely with lawyers, staff, and stakeholders to establish and verify bases for legal proceeding, including discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, and age, in programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance.
- Perform substantive and procedural legal work to support attorneys and staff.
- Assist attorneys and investigators in preparing for hearings, legal discussions briefings, and meetings on various legal matters.
- Conduct and assist in factual and legal research, conduct and assist in investigations.
- Assist in preparing for trials and litigation, witness interviews, factual evidence review and analysis, assisting with discovery of data and evidence, reviewing and organizing evidence and information, drafting pleadings and correspondence, preparing exhibits and evidence for trial, preparing evidence and discovery for use at trial, and assisting with trial and courtroom work.
- Draft legal documents such as correspondence, complaints, and legal briefs.
- Assist with contacting and corresponding with clients, lawyers, witnesses, experts and federal/state government personnel.
- Schedule interviews, hearings, witnesses, depositions, and other related discussions.
- Investigate claims or potential cases. Review facts and interview witnesses.
- Identify appropriate laws, judicial decisions, and legal articles related to OCR legal actions.
- Assist with and document case-related meetings and interviews.
- Work on presentations, memoranda, and special projects.
SECURITY CLEARANCE LEVEL
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an active 5C Federal Security Clearance.
- Must be a US Citizen
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS & SELECTION CRITERIA
- Bachelor’s degree. Paralegal certificate or JD preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience as paralegal and two (2) years’ experience in civil litigation or investigations.
- Ability to conduct factual and legal research.
- Draft and respond to discovery requests, including request for admissions, interrogatories, and document requests.
- Proficient in litigation discovery software and MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and Adobe PDF. Must have experience creating a database in Excel.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well within groups handling large volume of work.
- Ability to work independently.
Intelligence Federal is a fast growing government contracting company and looking for someone who is technically proficient and competent, friendly, people-focused, able to work well in a team, and be attentive to our clients' needs. This position offers the opportunity for a motivated candidate to take on responsibilities and grow with our company.