Systems Engineer - Honolulu
- Posted: over a month ago
SEs (Systems Engineers) focus on project work, escalations, and mentorship for our Systems Administrators. They set the example for our Core Values (listed later) for the service desk.
The SE role is for technicians who have mastered first-tier support to the point that they’re already thinking about potential fixes before they even finish reading a ticket.
If everything below appeals to you, apply and come ready to impress us.
Why work at Intech?
With 30+ years under our belt, Intech has come up with a set of core values that guide our company.
• Honesty (we tell the truth, no matter how much it hurts)
• Integrity (strive to be good people)
• Accountability (we take ownership and responsibility for our work)
• Focus on People (people matter to us, both in our office and in our clients' offices)
• Growth (if we're not growing, we're falling behind)
• Humor (we're funny... or at least we think we are…)
• Teamwork (no one can have a good day if anyone is having a bad day
SEs are at a point in their career where they might be considering whether to continue on a technical track or move on into senior roles. Intech can help you get better at what you’re doing or help you get wherever else you may want to go.
What do I need to bring to the table?
First and foremost, be a good person. In line with the Core values above, SEs are excellent teachers of technology, both to clients and to other techs at Intech. They also take complete ownership of projects from quoting to deployment. SEs are confident enough to methodically troubleshoot any issue, but humble enough to admit when they need help. Successful SEs are IT nerds at their core. They tinker on their own time, either for fun or so they can show off by knowing stuff before anyone else in the office. If they run into something they don’t know how to do on a Friday, they come back on Monday knowing how it works because they spent Saturday labbing it out at home.
At least a couple standard MSP certifications are required: any certs related to Microsoft servers, Azure/M365, CompTIA Network+, Security+. Cisco certifications are definitely nice to have, but we’re not primarily a Cisco shop, so if you’re on the fence about what to take, Azure/M365 is a more desirable route.
We are also fanatical about keeping good ticket notes and documentation. If you get excited documenting annoying issues so the next tech doesn’t have to re-live your pain, then welcome.
A valid driver’s license and car are also required for the position for planned and unplanned onsite visits.
Technical Mumbo Jumbo
The ideal SE candidate will have deep, hands-on, first person experience with most of the following.
• Standard networking concepts (DNS, DHCP, routing, subnetting, VLANs)
• Virtualization (VMware, Hyper-V)
• SAN/NAS high-availability technologies
• Windows domain stuff (Active Directory, Group Policy, DFS, etc.)
• Windows Domain Controller migrations
• Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (RD Gateway, RD Session Hosts, etc.)
• Cryptography (SSL/TLS certs, symmetric and asymmetric encryption, hashing algorithms, etc.)
• Scripting (Powershell preferred), automation with MSP tools in general
• Automation using REST APIs
• Email/spam security (SPF, DMARC, DKIM)
• Site-to-site and client VPNs (Sonicwall preferred)
• Wireless, including WPA-Enterprise with RADIUS
• Office 365/Microsoft 365 migrations and management
• Multi-factor providers (Azure MFA, Duo)
• Server hardware quoting and troubleshooting (we’re a Dell shop)
• Cybersecurity and compliance tools deployment for NIST/CMMC
What's in it for me?
• Medical, drug, dental, and vision coverage
• Paid vacation
• Quarterly company outings (currently limited and/or virtual due to COVID)
• Twelve paid holidays per year
• Quarterly performance reviews
• Monthly cell phone allowance
• Paid parking downtown
• Training and certification incentives to help you grow and make more money
Intech takes the health and safety of our employees very seriously. As an Essential Services provider, Intech is exempted from Hawaii’s stay-at-home directives. However, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re taking the following measures.
• All Intech staff are working primarily or completely from home.
• Technicians are still doing onsite visits as needed and following required safety protocols when onsite.
• Our office is professionally deep cleaned once per month.
• We’ve developed internal policies for safety protocols when in the office (masking, social distancing, etc.) as well as for anyone reporting potential COVID symptoms.
• We’ve added physical barriers around the office to increase physical separation.
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?