Instructional Connections, LLC is a fully integrated provider of high quality instructional support services to colleges and universities that offer online courses and degree programs. Universities work collaboratively with Instructional Connections to deliver high quality courses at an affordable cost. Within the online course, students are assigned an Academic Coach (sometimes referred to by a different title for different programs - Teaching Assistant, Course Assistant, Instructional Associate, etc.). We are currently working with 45+ public and state universities (over 50 programs) and we’re expected to add several others in the coming year.
These positions are virtual and do not require residence in a particular city or state. You only need to apply once, as our system does not allow for duplicate applications.
We are unable to consider or hire applicants that are not US Citizens or who do not have authorization to work in the US. Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with Instructional Connections (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status).
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Academic Coaches are highly qualified, experienced practitioners (minimum of a Master’s Degree or greater) who most frequently serve as the liaison between the university faculty of record and students within the assigned course. The exact qualifications and requirements of an Academic Coach are tailored according to individual university and program needs. Often the Academic Coach is the student's initial point of contact, and acts in much a similar fashion that a traditional teaching assistant does in a university.
See below for Minimum Job Requirements by Content Area for specific credentials and experience required.
Academic Coaches grade assignment per faculty directions, monitor discussion threads, answer inquiries/emails within 24 hours, monitor student engagement, provide online student support, and regularly collaborate with university faculty of record. Academic Coaches serve as facilitators and graders, while university faculty are the teachers of record. Compensation is based on a per-student-per-course formula. About 75% of the courses are 5 to 9-week course cycles and the programs are year round, with 4-6 course start a year.
The average is approximately 10-25 minutes per student per week; however this can vary on the level of the course, the course you are assigned and the number of open-ended assignments within the course. Academic Coaches who consistently complete coach assignments with quality will be considered for additional sections or responsibilities. We do not want to over extend a coach's responsibilities to such a degree that this negatively impacts their ability to serve students. In a first assignment, the practical limit is 50 students, with 30 being more typical. The average experienced Academic Coach can support 75-90 students. A highly proficient coach with ample time may be assigned up to 120 students but this is the upper limit. Since we support all disciplines, various levels of courses (undergrad, graduate and doctoral) and courses varying from 5 to 16 weeks in length; specific "per-student-per-course" rates are not disclosed until a contracted Academic Coach is approved and offered a specific course assignment.
If selected as an applicant, you will be required to complete an Academic Coach Pre-Employment Screening course. Participants can expect to commit 4 to 6 hours to the self-paced screening, accomplished over one week. The screening includes detailed of the role and expectations of an Academic Coach, introduction to the learning management systems (LMS) and best practices of online education, FERPA, etc. If a participant does not complete this screening session in the allotted time, he or she may be rescheduled for a future session. The sessions are only offered twice times per month and always start on a Monday.
Upon successful competition of the screening (active participation, passing of all graded assignments and working through all modules), you will be advanced to the contracting phase. The contract is dependent on the success of the background check and the screening. All of the Academic Coaching positions are considered part-time work (as an independent contractor). A complete "Contractor Package" includes a resume/CV, Official Transcripts and/or Evaluation of Foreign Transcripts for ALL degrees earned (Associates, Bachelors, Masters, etc.) and all completed on-boarding documentation. Once your contractor package is complete, your name will added to our pool of vetted and qualified Academic Coaches ready for an assignment.
Academic Coaching assignments will be based on approval by the university and are made in consultation with Lead Coaches and/or Program Assistant. She/he will guide the Academic Coach in a short orientation to the assigned program and course. Actual course assignments are made near to the course start date and are dependent on many factors including: area and level of graduate study, university approval and student enrollments.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS BY PROGRAM TYPE:
For Undergrad/General/Core Courses and Others Disciplines:
A minimum of a Master's Degree with at least 18+ graduate hours in the specific course content area listed below is required. Experience in online education is preferred. A doctorate/terminal degree is preferred.
- Art/Art History (Master's Degree/MFA in Art/Art History or closely related field)
- Astronomy/Physics (Master's Degree in Astronomy or closely related field)
- Chemistry (Master's Degree in Chemistry or closely related field)
- Fashion Design/Clothing & Textiles (Master’s degree in Fashion Design, Merchandising, Clothing & Textiles, History of Dress our closely related field)
- Geography (Master's Degree in Geography or closely related field)
- Math/Statistics (Master’s Degree in Statistics and/or Mathematics REQUIRED)
- Music (Master's Degree in Music or MFA or closely related field)
- Political Science (Master's Degree in Political Science or closely related field, PhD preferred)
- Rehab/Drug Counseling (Master's Degree in Rehab Counseling or closely related field, licensed Therapist/Counselor)
- Sociology (Master's Degree in Sociology or closely related field)
For Graduate Business Programs:
A minimum of a Master's Degree in Business related field with at least 18+ graduate hours in the specific course content area listed below is REQUIRED. Terminal Degree or Actively pursuing a Terminal Degree with publications is STRONGLY PREFERRED. Business degrees from AACSB accredited institutions strongly desired. Experience in online education is preferred.
- Accounting/Auditing (Master's Degree in Accountancy or MBA with primary Accounting focus REQUIRED, strongly PhD, DBA or CPA preferred)
- Data Analytics/Quantitative Analysis/Decision Sciences (Master's Degree REQUIRED, PhD or DBA preferred)
- Construction Management (Master's Degree REQUIRED, PhD or DBA preferred)
- Economics (Master's Degree in Economic or closely related area is REQUIRED, PhD or DBA preferred)
- Digital/Social Media Marketing (Master's Degree in Marketing/Communication with Social Media Marketing including SEO, Analytics, etc.)
- Finance (Master's Degree REQUIRED, PhD or DBA preferred. CFP preferred)
- Healthcare Administration (Min. of Master's Degree in Healthcare Admin is REQUIRED, PhD or DBA is strongly preferred)
- Information Technology/Computer Science/Cyber Security (Master's Degree REQUIRED, PhD or DBA preferred)
- Marketing/Advertising (Master's Degree REQUIRED, PhD or DBA preferred)
- Non-Profit Management/Administration (Master's Degree REQUIRED, PhD or DBA preferred)
- Public Relations (Master's Degree REQUIRED, PhD or DBA preferred)
- Supply Chain (Master's Degree REQUIRED, PhD or DBA preferred)
For Undergrad & Graduate Nursing and other Healthcare Related Programs:
A current and valid RN license and Master's of Science in Nursing (MSN) or greater is required. PhD Nursing Science or DNP (doctorate/terminal degree) is strongly preferred for MSN, Post-Grad NP and DNP programs. Nursing degrees must be from ACEN or NLNAC accredited institutions. Minimum of 3 years of nursing practice experience required; prior teaching experienced (trainer, clinical, face-to-face or online) is preferred.
- Nurse Practitioner - FNP, ACNP, PNP, AG-ACNP, AG-PCNP (Min. of MSN in NP REQUIRED with NP License with prescriptive authority, DNP strongly desired)
- Nurse Anesthesia (Doctoral Degree in Nurse Anesthesia and Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA))
- Nursing Management & Administration (MSN REQUIRED; PhD or Enrolled in PhD Program AND NEA-BC Strongly Preferred)
- Nursing Research & Evidence Based Practice (MSN & PhD in Nursing or Enrolled in PhD Program REQUIRED; Preferred with Work Experience in Research)
For Graduate Education Programs:
A Doctorate/Terminal degree (PhD or EdD; EdS or Certification is not considered a terminal degree by our university partners) in specific area listed below is REQUIRED - no exceptions. Education degrees must be from CAEP/NCATE accredited institutions. Minimum of 3 years’ experience in an educational environment or institution. National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs), Principalship and/or Superintendent Certifications are highly desired!
NO EXCEPTIONS on the REQUIRED TERMINAL DEGREE (EdD or PhD), DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ONLY HAVE A MASTER'S DEGREE or EdS in Education.
- Math and/or Science Education (EdD/PhD in Education REQUIRED, with Master's Degree in Math or Science or Math/Science Education)
- Educational Psychology (EdD/PhD REQUIRED)
- Educational Technology/Instructional Design (EdD/PhD REQUIRED)
- Gifted/Talented Education (EdD/PhD REQUIRED)
- Reading/Literacy Education (EdD/PhD REQUIRED, with Master's Degree or greater in Reading/Literacy Education)
Resumes/Applications received that do not meet the minimum requirement stated above will not be considered or contacted.
Thank you for your interest.