- Provide assistance with project tracking and ticketing system.
- Edit and proofread work assignments, including but not limited to articles for the public, scientific publications, posters, and presentations, using appropriate technical and scientific writing services
- Research and analyze recommended audiences for communication initiatives and assist in the development and execution of a communications and external affairs strategy to communicate office mission, goals, and programs.
- Develop, provide style and format guides, and prepare procedures, instructions, and manuals for physical and online communication activities.
- Draft, review, edit, and coordinate documents such as talking points, procedures, action items, speeches, blogs, reports for both internal and external use, and written articles for web, print and broadcast media
- Provide planning, preparation and input for conferences, briefings, meetings, working groups, and teams.
- Provide outreach, education and communication event management. Support demonstrations and displays to include planning, set-up, monitoring and disassembly of demonstration/display material.
- Research and develop promotional materials to support events. Provide note taking services for events and meetings.
- Coordinate education efforts, respond to education requests and coordinate scientists visiting classrooms with materials and activities. Support creation of new educational activities to support broader-NOAA education efforts. Organize NCEI education materials, maintain stock, and create information packets as needed.
- Develop internal communications strategies and write emails and messages to support internal communication efforts.
- Assist with coordinating media requests and providing support to NCEI staff conducting interviews by assisting with preparation, coordinating logistics or coordinating response to media questions.
- Develop strategic communication, outreach, engagement, and external communication plans. Provide leadership in implementing and coordinating plans across NCEI.
- Coordinate NCEI related media requests and facilitate interviews with NCEI subject matter experts.
- Support for activities identified in this section may require support on Saturday or Sunday, on a very limited basis.
- Obtain, coordinate, and compile data from independent observations, reviews with staff members, and/or studies of published materials and existing documentation.
This person will be on the NCEI Content Team and support internal and external communications plus education, outreach and engagement. The candidate should have a background in English or Communications or Education and an interest in science communication and education. In addition to developing internal and external communications, this person will be tasked with conducting education, outreach, and engagement for NCEI.
Great attention to detail is essential as this person will edit and proofread materials such as web content, scientific publications, presentations, and posters. They will also assist in drafting and editing a variety of digital and print materials and support the development of web stories and accompanying social media plans. It is incumbent that the candidate be familiar with/able to easily learn and apply the current standards for writing for the web and social media. This requires a strong grasp of language rules and at least be familiar/able to easily learn and apply AP, Chicago, and scientific journal style guidelines as well as the ability to format references and crosscheck them. In addition to working with the NCEI Content Team, extensive interaction is required with NCEI's Visualization team.
Education/outreach/engagement skills include: proficiency in public speaking and other forms of communication; able to lift up to 25 pounds; a passion for science education, outreach, and engagement; and be self-directed. Further, it is imperative to provide good customer service and effective communications to NCEI, NESDIS, NOAA, as well as a wide range of individuals in a variety of settings. Additionally, this person will provide input on communication and training tactics to complement the current communications and education/outreach/engagement processes at NCEI.
The individual should work well both independently and as a part of a team. Proficiency of the Google Business Suite and Microsoft Office Suite of products is needed. Ideally, but not required, is familiarity with Drupal’s content management system and the Adobe Creative Cloud suite.
This person will be based in Asheville, NC. Due to the nature of the education/outreach/engagement, occasional travel and hours outside of M-F, 8-5 will occur.