Greets members at front desk, enters information about prescriptions into computer system, receives payment from members, and prepares medications for approval by pharmacist.
• Greets members at counter or over the telephone, verifies member's eligibility status, and receives prescriptions from members for pharmaceuticals.
• Enters prescription information into computer system and prints labels for use by pharmacist.
• Receives payment according to terms of members' plan.
• Selects requested drugs from Omni cell dispenser or counts drugs from pharmacy shelf.
• Reconstitutes medications by mixing with fluids.
• Prepares intravenous prescriptions, topical ointments, and other drugs by mixing prescribed dosages.
• Attaches labels to container for review by pharmacist.
• Calls members to pick-up completed prescription.
• Answers routine inquiries from members regarding health plan drug coverage, prices, and related issues.
• Identifies situations when patient should speak with pharmacist regarding use of drugs and asks pharmacist to speak to member.
• Performs other related duties as directed.
• Two (2) year of experience as a Retail Pharmacy Technician preferred.
• High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
• Compliance with all state board of pharmacy rules and licensing requirements where applicable required.
• Active CPHT certification preferred. (Pharmacy students are exempted from the CPHT requirement where applicable).
• Knowledge of medical terminology, generic drug names, pharmaceutical calculations, and ability to assume responsibility for coordinating drug inventory control in medical clinics.
• Proficiency in the use of applicable computer software.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
• Successful completion of an accredited pharmacy technician training program or US Military program with one (1) year of experience as a IBHS Pharmacy Technician.