Breastfeeding Coordinator (WIC)
Inland Behavioral and Health Services, Inc. San Bernardino, CA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Under the direction of the WIC Program Director, the Breastfeeding (BF) Coordinator is responsible for the implementation and oversight of breastfeeding promotion, support, and outreach activities for Inland Behavioral and Health Services, Inc. (IBHS) WIC department. This position will assist the Program Director in the coordination of activities that support the agency’s caseload, breastfeeding and departmental goals. This position is responsible for the oversight of the agency’s breast pump loan program, pump inventory, and distribution of breastfeeding aids. This position will serve as a resource person for departmental staff and related committees and workgroups as it pertains to breastfeeding. This position will provide direct nutrition and breastfeeding education, counseling, and support services to WIC participants.
· Conducts thorough nutrition and breastfeeding assessments providing nutrition education, counseling and referrals to WIC participants.
· Provides breastfeeding education and support to IBHS staff and participants; promotes breastfeeding as the normal first choice for infant feeding.
· Provides lactation consultation to WIC participants who are experiencing breastfeeding challenges.
· Utilizes the WIC Information System Exchange (WIC WISE) to correctly schedule and document nutrition assessments, education, appointment contact types, follow up plans, and assign appropriate food packages.
· Utilizes Participant Centered Education (PCE) techniques to promote positive behavior change.
· Develops and evaluates breastfeeding education material for staff and WIC participants.
· Oversees the agency’s breast pump and equipment needs, inventory, and distribution. Assist in the development of policies and procedures for the agency’s breast pump loan program.
· Serves as community breastfeeding resource; participants in local, regional, national breastfeeding conferences/committees as assigned.
· Assists WIC Program Director with the development, implementation, and evaluation of the breastfeeding section of the agency’s Nutrition Services Plan (NSP).
Knowledge and Education: A bachelor's Degree in Nutrition, Public Health, or other Health Science and be trained as an International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), Certified Lactation Educator (CLE), or Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC). Knowledge and experience in Nutrition education and interventions. Knowledge of Participant Centered Education and Motivational Interviewing methodology. Excellent verbal/written communication skills required. Must successfully complete California WIC Nutrition Assistant (WNA) training within one year of employment; as applicable.
Experience: One-year professional experience working as a lactation consultant with WIC, community nutrition, or public health preferred. Knowledge of the WIC program and maternal child health desired.
Skills: Ability to relate to and work with people of all ages, social, and ethnic backgrounds. Maintain patient/organizational confidentiality. Ability to work independently and as a part of a team. Ability to convey a sense of confidence and trust to all participants. Ability to carry out administrative and consultative responsibilities as required. Ability to relate well to other health professionals and exercise good judgment.
Work Schedule and Location: Community health clinic environment. IBHS WIC business hours are Mon – Friday 8 am – 7 pm and Saturdays 9 am – 5:30 pm. Must be willing to work some evenings and weekends.
Physical and Personal Requirements: Must be able to see, hear, talk, walk, sit and/or stand for long periods of time, reach, stoop, bend, lift up to 25 lbs.; repetitive hand movement; use and view PC; use calculator, operate fax, copier, and telephone. Read and write; verbal and written communication, basic math skills, analyze, prioritize, meet deadlines and maintain high standard of confidentiality. Use sound judgment. Move throughout clinics and community. Must have reliable transportation, driver's license and insurance as required by the State. Must have the ability to work in a fast pace environment.
Inland Behavioral and Health Services, Inc.
Inland Behavioral and Health Services, Inc. is a community based non-profit Federally Qualified Healthcare Organization that operates three facilities in San Bernardino and one in Banning, California. We offer many different health services including Medical, Dental, and Mental healthcare. We welcome you to browse our site and learn more about the services we provide, the opportunities we offer, our hours of operation, directions to our facilities, as well as our contact information. www.ibhealth.org