The Fleet Manager is primarily responsible for the administrative, financial, and day-to-day operations of the entire fleet and the fleet maintenance department, including shops, mechanics, and support staff. The Fleet Manager is accountable for equipment availability and downtime repairs of equipment. This position requires skillsets in operations, business financials, administration, reporting, training, vendor relations, and fleet maintenance. The role includes responsibilities to ensure employees operate safely, equipment is compliant and safe, and financial decisions are aimed at providing high quality work while controlling costs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Establish and maintain fleet policies and procedures
• Supervise shop managers, mechanics, and support staff (performance, schedule, hours)
• Manage and track shop costs and equipment repairs
• Generate employee evaluations and feedback for regular reviews
• Responsible for maintaining proper truck counts and availability for operations
• Manage a preventative maintenance program to ensure equipment safety/compliance
• Accountable for performance of fleet financials and cost control measures
• Responsible for analytics, report generation, and presentation of fleet data
• Report fleet expenses performance regularly to management, including preparation of Capital Expenditures proposals
• Assist in creating and managing an annual budget for all fleet department requirements
• Work with new and used equipment market to purchase and dispose of equipment
• Monitor maintenance reports and maintain proper repair records
• Ensure compliance with Dept. of Transportation (DOT), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and other regulations at the federal, state, and local levels
• Adhere to record retention policies and procedures for drivers and equipment
• Negotiate labor and parts rates and priority statuses with vendors
• Manage tire and fleet check programs to ensure safety and cost-effective use of tires
• Determine chargeability of accidents and execute company fleet policies as required
Experience and Skills Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited university in a directly related field
• Ten (10) years of directly related experience preferred, including five (5) years of supervisory experience
• Demonstrate knowledge as it relates to the administration, operation, maintenance, and repair of commercial vehicles
• Evaluate employees, make sound judgements, demonstrate problem-solving skills
• Possess strong negotiation skills
• Must be able to work independently and as a team
• Valid driver’s license and able to pass a relevant criminal background check
• Provide proof of legal work status in the US.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills to read, analyze, interpret, write, and present business materials as it pertains to fleet and the industry. Ability to read and interpret documents, such as policies, procedures, safety rules, and instructions.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Ability to utilize mathematical concepts to compute rate, ratio, percentages, discounts, interest, commission, proportions, volume, and to create and utilize graphs.
Other Required Skills:
Ability to operate standard MS Office programs, such as Word, Power Point and Outlook. Advanced Excel skills necessary to generate, modify, and use spreadsheets.
Ability to travel up to 25-50% of the time. Most travel includes day trips to visit other locations with some overnight stays. Duties of this job require the incumbent to regularly walk, sit, talk, hear, and occasionally lift up to 50+ pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
The incumbent is occasionally required to work near moving mechanical parts and in outdoor weather conditions. Noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.