Industrial Automation Solutions is seeking an experienced and creative Mechanical Engineer to join our team of talented and diverse professionals by planning and designing customized automation projects utilizing robotics, motion and vision systems. Each project we undertake is its own unique piece of work, from the beginning sketch to the final installation. Therefore, the ideal individual is someone who likes to be an integral part of the whole team, is creative, likes variety and who thrives by seeing the whole process from start to finish.
PRIMARY PURPOSE: The mechanical engineer II position executes more complicated tasks as they relate to the design of custom mechanical systems for industrial robotic automation projects. This position is responsible for organizing highly complex activities for the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of engineering projects in accordance with IAS and applicable governing standards.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conceptualize and design highly complex automation machinery, robotic cells and material handling systems, including development and checking of technical specifications, drawings and bills of material.
- Create 3D part/assembly models and details drawings for manufacture per design best practices using Solidworks.
- Manage the scope of work for mechanical design on customized projects, including planning, supervising project work, and verifying designs to ensure effective performance of the work.
- Supports fabrication, testing, and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
- Provide guidance and direction in technical risk evaluation, functional composition, and interface management as part of the design team.
- Provide technical expertise in automation and equipment engineering practices.
- Ensure commitments on projects are met including cost, schedule, function, performance, serviceability, and appearance.
- Deliver complete and accurate designs within the allotted time.
- Mentor engineering interns and other engineering partners.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) or Mechanical Engineering Technology (BSMET) from an accredited college or university.
- Three (3) years of experience in machine building/design.
- Three (3) years of mechanical engineering experience in automation.
- Three (3) years of 3D CAD design (e.g. Solidworks, AutoCad Inventor, Pro/Engineer) that includes modeling and automation systems design experience.
- Solidworks experience preferred.
- Experience with project management methods, practices and tools including scoping, facilitations, delegation, and risk management best practices.
- A strong machine design background.
- Experience with specifying motion components, including pneumatic/electric actuators, and performing force loading calculations.
- Substantial knowledge of manufacturing and assembly processes such as machining, grinding, welding, hand assembly, fasteners, etc.
- Relevant experience with fixed and robotic assembly system concept development and design.
- Experience working within cross-functional teams to handle multiple priorities and meet scheduled milestones.
- Ability to accurately estimate the level of effort required to complete a design on time and within budget.
- Possesses a desire and capability to coach and mentor interns and other engineering partners.
- Demonstrated mechanical component and assembly design experience.
- Demonstrated experience in engineered component selection and major equipment specification development.
- Demonstrated ability to create drawing packages, electronic bills of materials and engineering change orders.
- Able to regularly lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. and occasionally lift 50 lbs.
- Able to use close vision, distance vision, depth perception, color determination, and adjustment of focus.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear.
- Occasionally required to bend, twist, climb, kneel and balance.
- Occasionally required to use hands to grasp, reach and operate objects, tools or controls.
- Occasional exposure to a production environment.
Reasonable accommodations are made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Travel is required approximately 10 % of the job.
Travel is anticipated for this position, typically within a 400-mile radius of the metropolitan Milwaukee area, but this can vary depending on the project, and could include international travel. Occasional overnight travel may be necessary. Some occasional local day travel may be necessary.