Job Title: Strategic Communications Specialist
Work Hours: 8:00 – 5:00 PM Monday - Friday
Clearance: Secret Security Clearance
Worksite Locations: Military Health Facility in Portsmouth, VA
Special notes: Proposal – Has not been awarded.
PA – Contingent upon award of the contract.
The Senior Strategic Communications Specialist will be accountable for leading strategic communications, planning, implementation and program change management. The selected candidate will have experience with strategic marketing as well as designing, facilitating and conducting stakeholder analysis, focus groups and interviews, gather and analyze quantitative and qualitative data. The ideal candidate will have phenomenal communication and copywriting skills, will proactively seek and manage strategic visibility opportunities for the organization.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. BA or BS degree in Health, Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or a related
2. 2+ years of experience with strategic communications, planning, and change
3. Experience with designing, facilitating, and conducting stakeholder analysis, focus
groups, and interviews.
4. Experience with gathering and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data and developing reports and recommendations.
5. Experience with providing stakeholder relationship management, branding, and project management.
6. Experience with developing outreach products and designing and maintaining tailored communication products and deliverables.
1. Experience with multimedia and graphics design layouts related to strategic
2. Experience with using software tools, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Pro
and/or InDesign to support program management efforts.
3. Experience with the military or consulting in a DoD environment preferred.
1. Implement command strategic communications plan.
2. Develop communications product templates, template instructions, and the
associated publishing guide.
3. Create the following products for stakeholders: Fact Sheets, Posters, Report covers,
Power Point presentations, Infographics, Animation and Graphics.
4. Assist PAO with development of press releases.
5. Develop content and graphics for Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.
6. Prepare news for internal stakeholders (NMCPHC and field activity staff).
7. Review documents submitted by NMCPHC HQ and field activity staff for grammar,
style guides, etc.
8. Develop Navy‐approved photos for use in command products.
9. Develop a multimedia tactic that utilizes a combination of animated photographs,
text and music.
10. Create non‐animation dynamic slide show presentations.
11. Review content from media sources on a continuing basis.
12. Identify, save and analyze media content that contains specific keywords or topics.
13. Create command materials for TAD, events, etc. (Excludes printing for training)
14. Create digital audio files to be made available on the Internet.
15. Develop public affairs communications products for external stakeholder audiences
(i.e. Command Newsletter [quarterly], What's New in Public Health [monthly]).
16. Gathering and analyzing monthly communications metrics from external
communications channels (i.e. social media, Issue, NMCPHC website).
17. Provide content updates and design support for Strategic Efforts internal website.
18. Update content in the PAO Collaboration Hub for field activity collateral duty PAOs
on a monthly basis.
19. Provide ongoing support for NMCPHC’s internal and external stakeholder analysis
Additional responsibilities as assigned by management.
While performing duties of the job, incumbent is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.