Individual FoodService Bell Gardens, CA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
General Purpose: Work includes reviewing requests; talking to vendors and department officials; examining price, suitability, and availability of items or services; comparing specifications; and reviewing alternatives, affirmative action, value analysis or other objectives.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Responsibilities for bid projects involving highly technical specifications and complex evaluation processes, special assignments, work overflow from a supervisor, and advice and assistance in training other buyers distinguishes this class from the Junior Buyer. Work is performed independently under the general direction of the Purchasing Manager.
- Oversees daily procurement activities and manages relationship of key strategic suppliers (indirect spend – marketing or professional services) in order to drive transparency and ensure cost effectiveness in business interactions.
- Interviews vendors and evaluates their products and capabilities as a supplier;
- Researches product lines, prices, product sources, and other relevant purchasing information;
- Evaluates research findings and makes independent decisions on procurement matters.
- Serves as a liaison between vendors and department personnel.
- Reviews bid protests and prepares oral or written recommendations;
- Obtains price quotes from vendors and compares quotes with the specifications and availability of items;
- Organizes, updates and retains product information files and purchase order records;
- Reviews contracts for changes prior to bid or renewal;
- Approves price increases provided for in contracts and makes changes as necessary and appropriate;
- Responds to requests for emergency purchases.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively.
- Reviews purchase requisitions, approve, and issues purchase orders in accordance with company policy and negotiated terms and conditions.
- Consistently seeks new areas of cost reduction and value enhancement. Measures & drives supplier performance in respect of quality and costs to meet business productivity requirements.
- Has a good understanding of negotiating techniques and developing appropriate sourcing strategies to optimize value for the Company.
- Prepares purchase orders via the automated procurement Target system and places orders for the purchase of goods and services.
- Obtains quotes from suppliers for items/lines as specifically assigned by management.
- Competent in the use of web-based procurement tools
- Continuously educates guides and trains customers regarding purchasing procedures, preferred supplier sources, and cost-effective procurement solutions.
- Used good judgment in setting and revising priorities; is realistic in making commitments bases on priorities.
- Collects data and prepares various reports (i.e. back order list).
- Responds to inquiries regarding product orders, delivery schedules, lost products, etc.
- Negotiates with vendors and analyzes quotations in terms of cost, quality, and reliability of source and urgency of need.
- Ensures that documentation for all purchase orders are complete and that all records are maintained in an efficient manner for each transaction.
- May recommend and implement cost savings programs, subject to higher approval.
- Follows environmental and safety regulations and acts in compliance with Federal and State laws.
Knowledge of: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Principles and practices of centralized purchasing.
- Common business practices relating to the purchase, pricing, terms, shipment, taxes, and payment for commodities and services.
- Large-scale purchasing methods and procedures.
- Must have data entry, personal computer software skills, and communication skills and be able to analyze spreadsheets.
- Proficient computer skills in MS word and Excel.
- Two plus years of experience as a buyer, including one year in the area of specialization, and or public administration, or certifications. Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted. Must be able to understand the fundamental responsibilities of a procurement function and interrelationships between user, vendors, accounting and receiving areas.
Skills: Analytical, problem solving, team building, strategic planning. Good understanding of global market / Internet. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of changing situations.
Ability To: Responsible for routine problem resolution Independent judgment is often required determining the most cost effective problem resolution in meeting delivery requirements. Analytical, problem solving, team building, strategic planning.
Physical Demands and Working Environment: The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Position requires ability to manage multiple tasks with deadlines, be detail minded, have organized work habits, and have the ability to deal with unresolved situations, frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
Environment: Standard office setting with some travel to various locations.
Physical: Ability to communicate effectively, ability to observe, ability to move, ability to adjusts, ability to perceive. Incumbents require sufficient physical ability to work in an office setting; stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; operate office equipment including use of a computer keyboard; push, pull, lift, and/or carry light amounts of weight.
ADA Statement: A qualified employee or applicant with a disability may be afforded a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential job functions of a position in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act.
EEO: As an equal opportunity employer this company’s policy, as well as Federal and State Law, prohibits discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical handicap, or age with respect to individuals who are at least 18 years of age.
We offer excellent benefits/pay/PTO/ 401k
Powered by JazzHR
AddressBell Gardens, CA
BusinessView all jobs at Individual FoodService