Encounters Keeper- Seasonal
- $13 Hourly
Flamingos, Budgies, and Psittacines, OH MY! From conducting informal presentations and behind the scene tours with guests, to performing the daily husbandry tasks for our many species of birds, our Seasonal Encounters Keepers are always busy! The Indianapolis Zoo is seeking energetic individuals with exceptional public speaking skills to join our Encounters flock for the 2023 season! This position will work closely with a variety of birds species and ambassador animals assisting with husbandry and enrichment.
Ideal candidates are committed to advancing the Zoo’s mission to protect nature and inspire people to care for our world. Having a professional attitude and appearance to visitors, volunteers, and co-workers is vital to the position as well as being a team-oriented individual that is temperamentally suited to work with the public and a variety of bird species. Prior experience working with soft bill, psittacine, and/ or flamingo is highly desired. This seasonal (40 hours. per week) position will work from the months of April until October with a pay rate of $13.00/ hr. Weekend, holiday, overtime and/ or varied shift work is required.
Position Requirements and Experience:
- Minimum of one (1) year of animal care experience preferably with birds.
- Comfortability conducting informal presentations, chats, and feeds to the public throughout the day.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors under all environmental conditions and temperatures.
- Ability to ascend/ descend ladders, steps and uneven terrain, while maintaining body equilibrium while performing various jobs.
- Exceptional visual acuity is required, along with the ability to communicate, comprehend and decipher information accurately, using a two-way radio.
- Interpretation responsibilities with mixed species aviaries and/ or the flamingo yard.
- The ability to perform daily husbandry task and manual work involving the care and maintenance of the animals and exhibits under this position’s care.
- Must possess exceptional public speaking skills and the ability to provide outstanding customer service to our guests.
- Directly responsible for health and well-being of the collections assigned to this position’s care.
- Must follow all safety Policies and Procedures of the Indianapolis Zoo.
- Possible occupational exposure (Category B employee) to human bloodborne pathogens. Possible exposure to dangerous chemicals (e.g. chlorine bleach, cleaning agents, etc.) Must follow Universal Protection Precautions and Bloodborne Pathogens Guidelines.
- Will be required to learn and implement species quarantine procedures as directed by Curator of Ambassador Animals & Encounters.
- Prior work experience involving animal care is strongly preferred. College course work in a suitable animal-related field may be substituted for work experience.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Bachelor’s degree in a Life Science area from an accredited college/university in life sciences is strongly preferred.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of pre-employment testing including a criminal history and driving record check, and a drug test.
- Interested candidates must complete an online Zoo application.
- Interested applicants must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
The Indianapolis Zoo is proud to be a Smoke-Free/ Drug-Free/ Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)/ Child Safe Work Environment.
Indianapolis ZooIndianapolis, IN
ManufacturingView All Indianapolis Zoo Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.