- Patrols buildings and grounds to protect property, patients, visitors and staff from danger of accidents, fire, theft, or intrusion.
- Responds to alarms and/or when summoned to assist with belligerent or dangerous persons, disaster, fire, bomb, or tornado as outlined by policy.
- Escorts persons to and from parking areas, monitors and checks hospital/clinic doors to ensure secure, enforces rules and regulations.
- Maintains daily log or journal to note activities.
This position is a Security Guard located in the Administrative Services Division at the Cass Lake IHS Hospital within the Bemidji Area Indian Health Service. This position reports to the Supervisory Security Guard or designee.
- #### Job family (Series)
- Guards, Security
- Security Guards
Conditions of Employment
- Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE GS-04 GRADE LEVEL:
- 6 months General Experience: Experience such as administrative, technical, clerical, military, or other work that involved following written procedures, rules, or regulations in contacts with coworkers, supervisors, or members of the public to provide a service, respond to inquiries, or obtain information; AND
- 6 months Specialized Experience: Experience such as work with a Federal, State, municipal, local, or private protective organization that involved the protection of property against such hazards as fire, theft, damage, accident, or trespass; or maintaining order and protecting life. Such experience must have provided a knowledge of protective systems and techniques. Acceptable experience includes service in the Armed Services or Coast Guard that involved the performance of guard duties on a regular or intermittent basis. For Security Guard positions in a hospital setting, experience as a psychiatric nursing assistant or a similar position safeguarding patients is qualifying; OR
- Education/Training: 2 years above high school that you have successfully completed study at an accredited college or university in any subject is fully qualifying OR successful completion of training in an accredited technical school that covered subjects such as physical security procedures, local laws, or investigative techniques is considered qualifying for specialized experience at the GS-04 level on a month-for-month basis; OR
- Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of education by 60. Add the two percentages.
A character investigation may be conducted on applicants selected for employment. The purpose of such an investigation is to secure evidence of the candidate's honesty, integrity, general character, and loyalty to the U.S. Government. Such investigations will be conducted under the security requirements of the hiring agency.
The duties of these positions require moderate to arduous physical exertion and/or duties of a hazardous nature. The following medical requirements apply to all applicants: good near and distant vision, ability to distinguish basic colors, and ability to hear the conversational voice. Agencies may establish additional, job-related physical or medical requirements provided that the specific position(s) involves the arduous or hazardous duties to which the requirements relate.
Applicants and employees must have the capacity to perform the essential functions of the position without risk to themselves or others. In most instances, a specific medical condition or impairment will not automatically disqualify an applicant or employee. A medical condition or impairment is disqualifying only if the condition, for good medical reason, precludes assignment to or warrants restriction from the duties of the specific position. For some positions, the loss or impairment of a specific function may be compensated for by the satisfactory use of a prosthesis or mechanical aid. Reasonable accommodation shall also be considered in determining an applicant's ability to perform the duties of a position. Reasonable accommodation may include, but is not limited to the use of assistive devices, job modification or restructuring, provision of readers and interpreters, or adjusted work schedules.
***NOTE*****:** Competition for Security Guard positions is restricted by law to persons entitled to veterans' preference as long as such applicants are available for appointment. With few exceptions by law, non-veterans who are not permanently employed at the applicable Service Unit/Area Office, cannot be selected when there are Veterans Preference eligibles available. However, permanent federal employees currently serving in a position covered by the same generic title as the one to be filled, may be selected without regard to Veterans Preference.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave is earned.
Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
This is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. Upon tentative selection, selectee will be requested to complete, sign, and submit the Addendum to OF-306, Child Care & Indian Child Care Worker Position form. Due to this requirement, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
Position is subject to alternating work schedule, call back, standby, rotating shifts, nights, weekends and holidays
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 09/30/2019
**~~~IHS - Operated Prope