Associate Professor of Biology
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Independence Community College (ICC) seeks applications for the position of Biology Professor. Independence Community College (ICC) is a small, rural, residential community college in southeast Kansas offering a wide variety of outstanding academic programs while promoting culture enrichment and economic development in our surrounding communities. Through our programs, we are committed and qualified to provide an academic experience that prepares students with the practical skills and knowledge to lead in the global 21st century workforce. ICC is dedicated to continuous quality improvement through the Standard Pathway accreditation process with the Higher Learning Commission and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Independence Community College seeks a strong, well rounded biology educator who has demonstrated experience or potential to be an excellent instructor at a community college, and who can provide leadership or contribute positively in areas such as development of the biology program and curriculum; keeping course offerings up-to-date and relevant; staying abreast of and communicating the current trends in STEM education; collaborating with area high schools; and contributing to oversight of the biology lab. Position Summary
This position is a full-time tenure-track faculty position with a minimum workload of 30 credit hours per year. Qualifications
Master’s Degree in Biology or related field or a master’s degree in a related field with 18 graduate credits in the concentration. The applicant’s degree must be from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Preferred qualifications include two or more years of community college teaching experience, high school teaching experience, experience working with a diverse student body, and experience with assessment.
· Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Providing instruction in Biology and other qualified courses.
- Have knowledge of basic safety protocols for biology labs and instructions.
- Provide effective instruction to every student in accordance with course descriptions, outlines, class schedules, and governing Academic and Board policies.
- Ability to provide instruction on days, evenings, weekends, on-line and off-campus as the college offers courses on ground, online and hybrid.
- Develop and assess student learning outcomes and evaluate the progress of each student.
- Participate in the departmental process of curriculum review and curriculum modification
- Contribute to the overall success of the Math & Sciences Division by engaging in appropriate departmental discussions and meetings.
- Maintain office hours in accordance to Negotiated Agreement.
- Participate in departmental, divisional, advisory, campus-wide and community committees as part of the shared-governance process and service area needs of the College.
- Participate in at least one institutional standing committee as part of service to the college.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
- Support the mission, vision, and values of the college.
- Be familiar with and act in accordance with Independence Community College policies and procedures.
- Successfully perform any other duties as assigned
1. With or without assistance: ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time; ability to move freely around campus and other locations.2. Ability to communicate both in person and by telephone; ability to speak clearly; mental capacity to make decisions and follow through with directions.3. Ability to lift 20 pounds.4. Ability to bend, stoop, reach and grasp as required to perform responsibilities. 5. Ability to perform repetitive keyboard and computer mouse functions.
Application ProceduresPosition is open until filled. Candidates whose education and experience match or exceed the job requirements may apply. Candidates need to provide the following:
Cover Letter Résumé Transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable for consideration, but official copies will be required for employment)from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Three professional/work references with contact information A signed and completed Independence Community College application form
Independence Community College
EducationView all jobs at Independence Community College