Under limited supervision, Nuclear Safety Engineering job functions as assigned by management. Typical job responsibilities assist and support management in nuclear safety support of operations and engineering system design. The specific work assignment may include duties or activities that assist and support management in one or more of the following functional areas, in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Performs tracking and trending of Nuclear Safety performance
- Performs maintenance/supports Nuclear Safety operability or engineering evaluations when necessary
- Prepares problem disposition reports for assigned projects
- Prepares and reviews USQ Screenings and USQDs
- Performs reviews of Safety Basis documents
- Prepares new and revised Safety Basis Documents
- Performs NS engineering functions involving monitoring of progress and preparation of procedures
- ldentifies and evaluates project issues and problems
- Conducts feasibility studies and evaluates potential technologies
- Performs research to analyze and validate NS aspects of design or theory concepts
- Responsible for technical ownership of assigned Nuclear Safety projects
- Subject matter expert for multiple assigned Nuclear Safety projects
- Responsible for training preparation and facilitation
- Evaluates operations and proposed modifications to determine compliance with engineering disciplines and standards, federal, state or local statutes and regulations as well as project/company policy
- Plans, oversees, assigns resources and report progress of assigned Nuclear Safety projects
- Responsible for NS review and support of equipment design and development, testing, review, checking and commenting on designs/drawings/data preparation, engineering studies and report preparation of subordinate personnel
- Lead role for projects as assigned
- Partners with senior Nuclear Safety Engineers in completing assigned engineering tasks and job functions
- Ensures compliance with DOE regulations and standards
- lnterfaces with other technical and production organizations to compile the technical information required to prepare the documentation
- lnterfaces with other groups inside and outside the organization and management
- Serves as a resource for lower level positions
- Provides assigned technical or functional support to team members
- Performs a variety of tasks complex to difficult in nature
- Other job related duties as assigned
- Maintains knowledge of and demonstrates ability to perform work safely in accordance with all approved safety policies, procedures and applicable regulations and performs assigned duties in a safe manner
- Actively participates in Safety Work Groups
BS deqree in a related field and 9 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Typical experience ranges from 9 - 12 years.
Expert understanding of pertinent codes, governing regulations and industry practices
Expert knowledge of applicable codes and standards as well as project procedures
Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Understanding of multiple engineering disciplines.
Must possess a DOE "L" clearance or the ability to obtain a DOE "L" Clearance
Work in an environmental restoration atmosphere (outdated and/or abandoned facilities). Potential exposure to equipment movement hazards, dangerous chemicals/solvents or hazardous and radioactive materials if proper safety procedures are not followed
Ability to wear respirator and other protective equipment to enter various types of potentially hazardous areas (such as but not limited to chemical, dust fumes, mists, heat stress factors, etc.).
Ability to carry several instruments/equipment or tools while walking extensively. Potential prolonged walking/standing, repeated pushing
Ability to perform medium to very heavy work, exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, nonrepetitive, up to 50 pounds of force frequently (any exertion of force/lifting greater than 45 pounds requires usage of a two person "buddy system"), and/or more than 20 pounds of force constantly, repetitive; performing such activities as lifting, lowering, carrying, pushing, pulling, standing, walking, grasping, kneeling, stooping, reaching.
Potential for prolonged driving of or riding in a rnotor vehicle, machine operation, and/or working around moving equipment/machinery or motorized vehicles (such as but not limited to car, truck, golf cart, gator, heavy equipment).
Ability to work in confined areas, tanks, heat stress conditions, high noise and areas with radiation and chemical hazards.
Environmental conditions may include weather or temperature extremes, inclement weather (such as but not limited to wind, rain, excessive heat, excessive cold, snow/ice, etc.)
ln some cases radiological training may be required.
May be required to operate company vehicle during the course of work. All safety and DOT regulations and procedures must be adhered to at all times.
We do not discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin.