Position Overview: Under general supervision, performs NCS job functions as assigned by management. Typical job responsibilities include assisting and supporting management in ensuring that fissile/fissionable nuclear material is handled, stored, utilized and transported in compliance with all applicable requirements and in a manner that protects the safety of personnel and property by preventing a nuclear criticality safety incident. The specific work assignment may include duties or activities that assist and support management in one or more of the following functional areas, in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Reviews and validates all nuclear operations and governing procedures, drawings and documentation related to nuclear operations in order to ensure safe operational conduct and full conformance with all applicable regulations, orders, requirements and standards
- Performs physical evaluation of facilities, materials and fissile/fissionable material handling operations to include inspections, surveillance, appraisals and audits to ensure safe operations and compliance
- Conducts and documents nuclear criticality safety evaluations using appropriate computational tools and experimental methods; evaluate data and communicate findings as required
- Review, revise, and generate criticality safety approvals or criticality safety requirements; document and communicate to ensure required controls are understood and effectively implemented
- Provide consultation and interpretative guidance to operations management regarding NCS issues
- Provide training and SME training support for NCS-related employee training initiatives as required
- Serve as SME in developing / revising NCS-related operational procedures and other areas
- Responsible for the development or updating of NCS procedures or training programs
- Responsible for delivery training programs
- Performs duties complex in nature
- Other job related duties as assigned
- Maintains knowledge of and demonstrates ability to perform work safely in accordance with all approved safety policies, procedures and applicable regulations and performs assigned duties in a safe manner
- Actively participates in Safety Work Groups
BA/BS degree in a related field and 7 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Typical experience ranges from 7 - 10 years.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Expert knowledge of and experience with nuclear facility operations
Expert knowledge of and experience with DOE nuclear facility safety including technical safety requirements, processes and reporting requirements
Attention to detail
Proficient in PC skills including Microsoft software
DOE "L" or "Q" clearance or ability to obtain a DOE "L" or "Q" clearance
Work in an environmental restoration atmosphere (outdated and/or abandoned facilities). Potential exposure to equipment movement hazards, dangerous chemicals/solvents or hazardous and radioactive materials if proper safety procedures are not followed.
Ability to wear respirator and other protective equipment to enter various types of potentially hazardous areas (such as but not limited to chemical, dust fumes, mists, heat stress factors, etc.).
Ability to carry several instruments/equipment or tools while walking extensively. Potential prolonged
walking/standing, repeated pushing/pulling.
Ability to perform medium to very heavy work, exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, nonrepetitive,
up to 50 pounds of force frequently (any exertion of force/lifting greater than 45 pounds requires usage of a two person "buddy system"), and/or more than 20 pounds of force constantly, repetitive; performing such activities as lifting, lowering, carrying, pushing, pulling, standing, walking, grasping, kneeling, stooping, reaching.
Potential for prolonged driving of or riding in a motor vehicle, machine operation, and/or working around moving equipment/machinery or motorized vehicles (such as but not limited to car, truck, golf cart, gator, heavy equipment).
Ability to work in confined areas, tanks, heat stress conditions, high noise and areas with radiation and chemical hazards.
Environmental conditions may include weather or temperature extremes, inclement weather (such as but not limited to wind, rain, excessive heat, excessive cold, snow/ice, etc.)
ln some cases radiological training may be required.
May be required to operate company vehicle during the course of work. All safety and DOT regulations
and procedures must be adhered to at all times.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and levelof work being performed
by the person assigned to this position. Principal duties and responsibilities are intended to describe
the overall purpose of this job.
This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities
assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform job-related duties
as requested by management. All requirements are subject to modification to reasonably
accommodate individuals with a disability.
We do not discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin.