Position Overview: Under general supervision, performs Construction Engineering job functions as assigned by management. Typical job responsibilities assist and support management in engineering design and development, as well as construction field engineering support. The specific work assignment will be based on project needs and requirements and may include duties or activities that assist and support management in one or more of the following functional areas: civil, structural, architectural, mechanical, electrical or chemical in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Under general supervision, applies standard construction engineering techniques, procedures and criteria to assigned projects.
- ls familiar with project/contract scope and can identify changed conditions
- Adheres to project safety/ISMS requirements and encourages safe work activity.
- Provides construction engineering and technical support for one or more Construction Engineering disciplines within assigned projects.
- Evaluates, selects and applies construction engineering techniques, procedures and criteria, using solid judgment in making decisions.
- Provides clarification and interpretation of project design documents, contract / client specifications and construction plans.
- Supports material and contract management activities. May be assigned Contract Technical Representative responsibilities (CTR)
- Supports construction activities and assists supervision, contractors, craftsmen and foreman with regard to construction-related issues identified on drawings
- Assists in assembly of work packages and provision of engineering documents.
- Recommends solutions to field construction issues.
- Coordinates special field requests for engineering and / or vendor documents from contractors or other resources as needed.
- Provides input to as-built drawing efforts.
- Evaluates and verifies vendor data and drawings from other disciplines
- Supports the quality team in technical assessment of quality issues and non-conformities of construction.
- Receives and distributes project design documents to project staff.
- May supervise a team of employees or subcontractors
- Performs tracking and trending of Construction performance
- Supports Construction operability or engineering evaluations when necessary
- Coordinates pre-construction activities - obtaining excavation permits; grade survey information; Geo-Tech borings; Sub-surface site surveys; Health Physic (HP) surveys; delivery, off-loading and staging for parts and equipment
- Performs project engineering functions involving monitoring of progress and preparation of procedures
- Prepares scheduling, estimates, progress reports, meetings, procurement activities, etc. necessary to support project activities utilizing professional engineering techniques with a wide latitude for independent action and decision
- Provides support for the development of SOW and RFP for new construction and D&D projects
- Responsible for technical ownership of assigned projects
- lnitiates Constructability Reviews
- Provides Constructability lnput to Engineering
- Assists Construction Planner in Work Plan development
- lnputs into scope division and Construction lnterface Points (ClP)
- Provides construction engineering support to the Construction Supervisor / Coordinator
- Subject matter expert
- Assists in training preparation and facilitation
- Assists Project Engineer in evaluation of operations and proposed modifications to determine compliance with engineering disciplines and standards, federal, state or local statutes and regulations as well as project/company policy
- Performs technical review, troubleshooting and day to day technical support for maintenance, operations and other engineering groups for project constructability purposes
- Assists with development of Construction Execution Plan and Construction Site Map
- Coordinates with Plant Shift Superintendent (PSS); Security; Fire Department; Facility Custodians; Safety and Power Operations for utilities isolations and tie-ins
- Assists Engineering with LOTO and isolation plans
- Lead role for projects as assigned
- lnterfaces with other technical and production organizations to compile the technical information required to prepare project documentation
- Serves as a resource for lower level positions
- Provides assigned technical or functional support to team members
- Performs a variety of tasks complex in nature
- Other job related duties as assigned
- Maintains knowledge of and demonstrates ability to perform work safely in accordance with all approved safety policies, procedures and applicable regulations and performs assigned duties in a safe manner
- Actively participates in Safety Work Groups
BS degree in a related field and 7 years of applicable experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Typical experience ranges from 7 - 10 years.
Expert understanding of pertinent codes and governing regulations and industry practices
Expert knowledge of applicable codes and standards as well as project procedures
Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Understanding of multiple engineering disciplines.
Must possess a DOE "L" clearance or the ability to obtain a DOE "L" Clearance
Work in an environmental restoration atmosphere (outdated and/or abandoned facilities). Potential exposure to equipment movement hazards, dangerous chemicals/solvents or hazardous and radioactive materials if proper safety procedures are not followed.
Ability to wear respirator and other protective equipment to enter various types of potentially hazardous areas (such as but not limited to chemical, dust fumes, mists, heat stress factors, etc.).
Ability to carry several instruments/equipment or tools while walking extensively. Potential prolonged walking/standing, repeated pushing/pulling.
Ability to perform medium to very heavy work, exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, nonrepetitive, up to 50 pounds of force frequently (any exertion of force/lifting greater than 45 pounds requires usage of a two person "buddy system"), and/or more than 20 pounds of force constantly, repetitive; performing such activities as lifting, lowering, carrying, pushing, pulling, standing, walking, grasping, kneeling, stooping, reaching.
Potential for prolonged driving of or riding in a motor vehicle, machine operation, and/or working around moving equipment/machinery or motorized vehicles (such as but not limited to car, truck, golf cart, gator, heavy equipment).
Ability to work in confined areas, tanks, heat stress conditions, high noise and areas with radiation and chemical hazards.
Environmental conditions may include weather or temperature extremes, inclement weather (such as but not limited to wind, rain, excessive heat, excessive cold, snow/ice, etc.)
ln some cases radiologicaltraining may be required.
May be required to operate company vehicle during the course of work. All safety and DOT regulations and procedures must be adhered to at all times.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. Principal duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the overall purpose of this job.
This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform job-related duties as requested by management. All requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
We do not discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin.