Marketing & Communications Specialist
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Improve Your Tomorrow, Inc. (IYT) is a college access and completion organization focused on increasing the number of young men of color to attend and graduate from colleges and universities. IYT’s vision is a nation where young men of color are overrepresented in higher education, underrepresented in the criminal justice system and are leaders in their communities. IYT is an AmeriCorps partner organization serving 3,000+ members across more than 60 sites in Sacramento County, Humboldt, Central Valley, Bay Area and college students across the nation.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Marketing & Communications Specialist will help provide services to IYT’s four regions: Bay Area, Central Valley, Humboldt, and Sacramento, as well as devote 10% of their time to providing communications support for the 1300 Campaign, IYT’s multi-region policy and advocacy coalition.
IYT’s Marketing and Communications department was formed in 2021. This role offers the opportunity to be a part of an innovative and growing team by helping to filter and address IYT’s day to day marketing and communication needs across the organization as well as improve systems and processes for efficiency and sustainability. The Marketing & Communications Specialist will have the opportunity to create and maintain highly engaging and innovative communications campaigns that amplify the voice of our 3,000+ membership and spotlight the impact we’re making toward our mission.
- Articulate and amplify IYT’s impact by collaborating across departments and disciplines to draft engaging stories both written, photographed or by video, that feature IYT’s members, program sites, staff, mentor fellows, leadership and partners.
- Assist in the planning, execution, and organization of IYT’s communications and marketing campaigns.
- Help develop multimedia content and assist in the management of IYT’s social media platforms.
- Assist with the execution of IYT’s Monthly newsletter and help launch our inaugural member-led newsletter.
- Develop and improve data and media organization; allowing team members from across the organization to easily access important assets such as photos, videos, slide decks, fliers and marketing materials.
- Assist in the management of IYT’s website by helping to refine messaging, layout and UI, as well as ideate and develop new functionalities to strengthen user engagement.
- Develop communications toolkits for internal and external users.
- Assist in the development of highly impactful and innovative storytelling that draws from fields and methods such as Critical Counter Narratives, Youth Participatory Action Research, and social justice.
- Create clear and engaging slide deck templates and data visualizations that highlight IYT’s impact to current and prospective funders and sponsors.
- Support graphic design needs, including utilizing templates to design basic graphics for ongoing social media, email marketing and website needs, and coordinating with graphic designers as needed.
- Perform all other duties assigned by supervisor or manager.
- Deep commitment to equity and inclusion and ability to apply that lens in communications work.
- Willingness to quickly learn and be flexible in a fast-paced, evolving work environment adjusting to the needs and timelines of our site teams.
- Ability to work independently as well as be part of a team.
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Comfortable with changing priorities and taking initiative.
- Creative with an ability to apply ideas that elevate materials and achieve goals.
- Experience developing compelling visuals.
- Proficiency with graphic design and video editing tools (e.g. Powerpoint, Canva, Photoshop, Adobe Suite, Illustrator, Imovie) along with an eye toward design and layout.
- Knowledge of email and website platforms (Wix,Constant Contact, or similar platform).
Preferred Qualifications but not required:
- Spanish-language proficiency preferred but not required.
- Have a background in education/student services.
- Have knowledge of the college opportunity-gap for young men of color.
- Background in education, journalism, social justice organizing/advocacy.
- Travel to IYT schools sites on a semi-regular basis (2-3x/month) is required to engage with members, program team and to generate member-led content (mileage is reimbursed by employer)
- Employment with Improve Your Tomorrow requires proof of up to date COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Fingerprinting and the ability to pass background checks (expenses paid by employer)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Personal Vehicle
- Auto Insurance
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm (30-minute lunch). Some weekends and mandatory organization-wide events are required.
Salary: This is a full-time non-exempt position. Status is subject to change based on the needs of the organization. The hourly rate is between $24.03 to $28.84, commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Benefits include vision, health, dental, 401K, 2 weeks of accrued paid vacation, and up to four weeks of paid time off for Fall, Winter and Spring breaks.
Apply at www.improveyourtomorrow.org. If you have any questions about your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are accepted until the position is filled with an ideal start date of June 14th, 2022.
IYT provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Improve Your Tomorrow
BusinessView all jobs at Improve Your Tomorrow