Interested in making a difference in refugee rights within the community? Desire to lead campaigns on immigrant and refugee rights and are skilled in building and developing community relationships?
We are currently accepting resumes for our Community Organizer. This role will be responsible for helping drive and support multiple community campaigns and initiatives such as health care organizing campaigns that advocate for the rights of immigrants and refugees.
The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights is a mission driven social justice non-for-profit organization for and of the immigrant communities of Illinois. ICIRR is a 30 plus year-old membership organization composed of more than 138 dues paying organizations, the largest immigrant coalition in Illinois. Membership is broad based and includes: community groups, ethnic associations, unions, refugee organizations, churches, mosques and direct service organizations that work with diverse immigrant communities.
ICIRR's mission is to promote the full and equal participation of immigrants and refugees in the political, civic and economic life of our diverse society. In partnership with our member organizations, ICIRR educates and organizes immigrant and refugee communities to assert their rights; promotes citizenship and civic participation; monitors, analyzes, and advocates on immigrant-related issues; and, informs the general public about the contributions of immigrants and refugees. For more information about ICIRR please go to: www.icirr.org.
The Community Organizer performs a wide range of duties; examples of these responsibilities are listed below:
- Provide support to the citywide campaign tables that ICIRR is involved
- Work closely with ICIRR's policy department as it relates to ICIRR's organizing campaign work that may need additional staff support when working on citywide campaigns
- Build relationships to engage ICIRR's membership within the organization's organizing campaigns and events
- Provide and analysis of the department's strengths and growth opportunities
- Guide ICIRR members through a political analysis that informs strategy through ICIRR's campaigns
- Support organization-wide events and activities including direct actions, press conferences, rallies, leadership summits, and other events as needed
- Establish and build relationships as well as recruit new allies and organizations into the various ICIRR campaigns
- Build support of elected officials for various local, statewide and national campaigns
- Help identify, recruit, and develop ICIRR member organizations to advance the goals of ICIRR's organizing campaigns
- Develop relationships with organizing partners and explore collaborative opportunities with strategic allies not yet involved with ICIRR
- Stay abreast of immigrant related policies and how they affect the immigrant community.
- Maintain working knowledge of entire range of issue areas addressed by ICIRR
- Develop strategic, member centered and member driven campaigns
- Provides informal guidance, feedback and support to other organizers about their work
- Participate in ICIRR all staff meetings
- Assist in the organizing of trainings developed for grassroots leaders from member organizations
- Bilingual Spanish speaking required
- Undergraduate degree in related field preferred
- Four years of experience working in a community organizing campaigns and outreach events
- Self motivated, results-oriented, teamwork centered and comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to direct and manage successful campaigns
- Proficient in Microsoft Programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience working with immigrants and/or refugees preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and writing skills
- Excellent leadership abilities and superior organizational skills; detail-oriented with the ability to juggle many different tasks simultaneously and complete them in a timely manner
- A valid driver's license is required and must be able to provide your own transportation within the greater Chicago metropolitan area and within the State of Illinois.
ICIRR Offers: In support of our co-workers, we offer 100% company paid HMO, vacation/personal/sick days with an additional paid week at the end of the calendar year and 403b matching. After four years of service our co-workers are eligible for a (60) day sabbatical.
This position is part of the National Organization of Legal Service Workers.
To apply: send cover letter with your resumeby clicking the apply button.
ICIRR is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: community organizer, campaign organizer, refugee rights advocate, immigrant rights