- Good Work/Life Balance
- Top Rated Institution
- Competitive Pay
- Full Benefits
We are seeking a Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence to become an integral part of our team!!!
The Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence builds relationships with partners to understand the information needs of leaders and front-line staff. This role collaborates with colleagues in Information Technology to build business intelligence solutions. This role is a great opportunity for someone with a technical background who is interested in working at the interface between business and IT.
This position is responsible for overseeing the creation of architecture, ETL processes, and data collections, as well as helping to architect organization-wide solutions in partnership with the central IT group. This role leads the Integrated Reporting and Information System project. The Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence will manage a group of six analysts/developers in creating and/or specifying data solutions for a range of organization-wide reporting subjects.
The Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence executes substantial technical and managerial efforts with a university-wide focus. The Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence will perform advanced project and analytical work in a wide range of business intelligence activities that ensure the uniformity, accuracy, and semantic consistency of enterprise data through the application of effective data management, security, stewardship, and governance processes.
The Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence should have a technical background in areas such as data warehousing, business intelligence, data virtualization, and data analytics. As part of a central analysis and reporting unit, this position interacts with a wide variety of stakeholders, and requires someone skilled in understanding and interpreting the information needs of a broad group of constituents. Additionally, the position exercises major programmatic impact in designing information solutions for the organization.
- Lead and manage staff responsible for the development of information solutions, from definition phase through implementation;
- Lead system-wide complex business intelligence reporting and analysis initiatives; ensure initiatives directly support the organizational mission and are delivered on schedule and budget.
- Provide technical direction for the Decision Support Systems warehouse.
- Provide complex analysis and recommendations regarding data management and the design of dashboard and reports; oversee the development of interactive query tools and dashboards for central and distributed users.
- Lead, hire, coach, and evaluate performance of staff. This position currently supervises a team of six people.
- Create and execute business and technical plans, and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements. Write plans and charters for business intelligence and other analytics and reporting projects.
- Create procedures and guidelines to ensure compliance with policy and federal and state regulations.
- Evaluate and assess metrics and program effectiveness; review trends and monitor proactively.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the organizational structure and programs to ensure success, development of employees, and appropriate use of staff resources.
- Lead data stewardship efforts and develop the metadata supporting the applicable reporting systems.
- Troubleshoot business intelligence environment problems and seek opportunities for improvement; coordinate with application team to resolve application bottlenecks and performance issues.
* Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and eight years of increasingly technical work experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Substantial experience with the design of data for reporting solutions, including data warehousing, relational and dimensional logical data modeling.
- Experience designing ETL processes and experience with ETL tools, such as Informatica’s PowerCenter.
- In depth knowledge of and ability to use analytical and business intelligence programs such as OBIEE, Business Objects, Tableau, R, and others.
- Experience working in a research-rich environment desired.
- Demonstrated ability with enterprise applications and database driven applications.
- Strong project management skills.
- Extensive experience in data analysis and root cause analysis and proven problem solving and analytical thinking capabilities.
- Ability to resolve issues quickly and make decisions that meet objectives, in a collaborative culture.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff.
- Exceptional stakeholder relationship skills, consensus building skills, and ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment.
- Ability to understand and interpret organizational policy, structure, processes and data needs. Ability to understand questions from stakeholders and propose effective information solutions to meet their needs. Ability to serve as a translator between stakeholders and technical groups.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, proven presentation experience and comfort with senior management audiences, and effective facilitation skills with diverse groups.
IbisViz | Enabling Business Performance
Palo Alto, CA