The staff accountant is responsible for managing and processing day-to-day transactions related to private contributions, cash receipts, and credit cards for Lutheran World Relief and IMA (LWR-IMA). This position reports to the Accounting Manager and frequently interacts with other members of the General Accounting and Finance department. This position is critical to ensuring timely, efficient, and accurate recording of financial transactions which are the basis for all financial reporting and analysis for these organizations. This role is one of the first lines of defense to verify compliance with LWR-IMA policies and internal controls, identify errors and facilitate correction.
- Processor of Cash Disbursement Transactions Accounts Payables & Expense Reimbursements
LWR-IMA's cash disbursement cycles are an important element of its day-to-day transaction processing. Proper recording has a significant impact on budgeting and both internal and external financial reporting. Also, as the individual who views and processes all of these transactions this role is imperative for consistency as well as fraud and error prevention. Proficiency is measured through incidence of errors noted in reviews by the senior account manager and others, including auditors, and how efficiently the month-end close is performed.
- Process invoices, wires and expense reports along with printing and mailing checks, initiate ACH transactions, follow up on open items and maintain communication with vendors. Almost all non-wire payments are done through the Anybill payment vendor and are electronic transfers. LWR-IMA does very little in house checks, only in emergency situations.
- Import LWR & IMA's monthly program wires and advances from Phoenix into MIP.
- Follow up on old outstanding checks.
- Prepare annual vendor tax statements (Form 1099-MISC).
- Ensure that accounts payable vendor files are accurate and kept up to date.
- Serve as a system trainer and point of contact for the Anybill payment system
- Ensure that source documents submitted for cash disbursement have appropriate coding and approval in accordance with LWR-IMA's finance policies, procurement policies, and travel policies
- Perform critical procedures related to fraudulent disbursement prevention (Positive Pay).
- Reviews the employee travel reimbursement information before registering it to the accounting software.
- Prepare, process and review Wire Transfers via INTL, Western Union and PNC bank for overseas and international wire transfers. Responsible for ensuring all proper coding and documentation is loaded with each wire transfer request so that when authorization is done by appropriate signer it is there and easier to review.
- General Accounting and Finance Support
- Take on other analysis and projects as assigned by the Director of Finance
- Provide support for LWR-IMA's annual audit and Form 990 preparation.
- Make recommendations for process improvements and participate in various initiatives to increase efficiency and productivity.
- Serve as key contact for staff for all AP and Expense reimbursement and inquiries.
- Serves as a back-up for credits cards and cash contributions processing.
- As a member of the Phoenix Update Board (PUB) workgroup, participate in meetings as necessary and represent General Finance unit.
- Import monthly AP journals into MIP as part of the closing process.
- Interpret finance policies and provide coding assistance and instruction to LWR-IMA staff
- Perform certain duties of other staff accountant(s) in his/her absence.
- Associate degree or bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance, or related field.
- Three or more years of experience with data entry (accounts payable, accounts receivable and journal vouchers) into a general ledger system, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of Abila MIP Fund Accounting Software preferred.
- Competency in multi-string general ledger accounts and associated reporting.
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Professional integrity, initiative, dependability, and commitment to excellence.
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.