The job function is the design and analysis of Optical Thin Film (OTF) filters for both Telecom and non-telecom applications spanning an operational spectrum from the Ultra-Violet (UV) to the Infrared (IR). Customer requested filter specifications are often multi-faceted, diverse and complex, the Product Design Engineer will be responsible for providing technical analysis to the sales and marketing team for new business opportunities and consults with customers to understand product requirements and opportunities.
Responsible for new product designs and manufacturing inputs throughout the life of the product. This includes, but is not limited to: 1) creating internal specification documents which define the work flow through the factory; 2) completion of the final thin film design and getting the new design ready for manufacture; 3) working with the Operations Team to get coatings scheduled for production to meet customer requested deadlines; and 4) working with Operations and Process Engineering groups to define production requirements and specify test methods.
Works directly with Quality Manager on customer quality issues. Provides technical input and feedback on Return Material Authorization (RMA) requests.
- Bachelor of Science or higher in Engineering, Physics or related field.
- 15+ years of professional optical coating engineering.
- Optical communication systems background strongly preferred.
- Understanding of coating materials and substrates.
- Strong demonstrated OTF filter design expertise.
- Excellent knowledge of thin film design theory and product application.
- Experience with a wide variety of analytical OTF filter design techniques.
- Proficient Matlab/Visual Basic writing skills for equipment control and data analysis.
- Workstation development and automation particularly focused on optical thin film design and data analysis
- Have proficient general computer skills. Some examples are: experience with commercial thin film software, and other programs, Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Experience with problem analysis and resolution.
- Hands on experience in debugging and analyzing device test failures.
- General knowledge optical thin film metrology.
- Subject matter expert in both telecom and instrumentation filter product lines.
- Ability and desire to learn new product lines.
- Expert in LabVIEW, Matlab, Optilayer, and
- Excellent writing skills to document user/maintenance manuals and test analysis reports.
- Applies current best practice to the solution of highly complex OTF filter design problems.
- Ability to analyze spectral data and apply required level of reverse engineering.
- Strong technical mastery and creativity, design sophisticated coatings that are manufacturable, and exceed the customer's expectations.
- Ability to anticipate and handle multiple assignments and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results independently or working with colleagues.
- Ability to identify risks and make recommendations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities involving external and internal priorities.
- Ability to recommend and implement improvements.
- Self-directed, ability to prioritize multifaceted complex Request For Quotes (RFQ) and resulting projects.
- Handle special assignments promptly and professionally.
- Set a high standard of ethics, professionalism, leadership and competency.
- Demonstrates and promotes the II-VI Worldwide values: Customer First; Honesty and Integrity, Open Communications, Teamwork, Continuous Improvement and Learning; Manage by the "Facts"; A Safe, Clean and Orderly Workplace.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro