II-VI M CUBED
M Cubed, a division of II-VI Incorporated, is a globally recognized market leader, delivering unique material solutions and precision performance products to some of the world's fastest growing industries. Our advanced material solutions (ceramics, metal matrix composites) are complimented with vertically integrated manufacturing processes that deliver ultra-precision products at the sub-micron level.
Basic Function of the Job:
Conduct experimentation, development, prototyping, and testing of new materials, new products, and new applications. Develop and continuously improve new materials and processes to manufacture and qualify ceramic and metal matrix composite (MMC) products. Develop experimental plans using statistical methods and experimental schedules. Conduct multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize based on business needs. Operate high temperature processing, machining, and characterization equipment. Maintain and troubleshoot processing, machining, and characterization equipment. Coordinate external toll characterization activities with vendors. Keep excellent records of work (travelers, spread sheets, lab notebooks, other), follow standard operating procedures (SOPs), and safety procedures. Prepare Technical Notes, Reports, and Presentations. Keep up-to-date with the technical literature related to advanced ceramics and composites. In addition, position requires excellent communication, organization and documentation skills, and an ability to interface effectively with employees within and external to the R&D group. The Materials Engineer implements experimental plans without standard procedures, and provides quantitative and qualitative observations for continuous material, process, and product improvement. In addition, participates in the transfer of successful development efforts from R&D to Manufacturing, specifying equipment, providing documentation, and conducting training. A strong ability to create and follow work policies is needed (ISO, MSDS, SOPs, other).
- BS in Materials Science or Engineering highly preferred; AAS or HS with strong experience considered
- 1-4 years practical experience with degree; 10+ years without
- Knowledge of advanced ceramics, metals, and composites
- Experience with R&D, materials manufacturing, foundry practice, furnace operation, high temperature processing of non-oxide materials, microscopy, and/or materials testing
- Aptitude to develop novel materials platforms and fabricate prototypes with new processes where SOPs and Standard Work are not yet developed or in place
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results independently or working with others
- Ability to recommend and implement improvements
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with networked PC based computer system (MS Office, spreadsheets, access, graphics, email, MRP systems, and accounting software)
- Working knowledge of novel materials such as ceramics and metal matrix composites; familiarity with metrology equipment such as CMMs and laser scanning tools; experience with materials characterization for composition, microstructure, thermal behavior and mechanical properties; and knowledge of molten metal and powder processing methods
- Understanding of high temperature processing of materials, including traditional kilns, alternate atmosphere furnaces, and vacuum furnaces
- Willingness to support hands-on prototype fabrication activities
- Experience specifying and purchasing materials processing and/or characterization equipment
- Knowledge of outsourcing testing and/or machining activities to speed prototyping efforts
- Keen interest in quickly learning and applying new skills.
- Understanding of MSDS documentation, and ability to use new materials and chemicals in a safe manner.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities involving external and internal priorities
- Ability to excel in a cross-organizational, cross cultural, global team environment
- Handle special assignments promptly and professionally
- Set a high standard of ethics, professionalism, leadership, and competency
- Due to ITAR compliance, this position requires candidates to be a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident Alien, or Protected Individual per 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
- Demonstrates and promotes the II-VI Worldwide values:
- Customer First
- Honesty and Integrity
- Open Communications
- Continuous Improvement and Learning
- Manage by the "Facts"
- A Safe, Clean and Orderly Workplace
II-VI M Cubed is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This job requires that an individual come into contact with raw materials, products, equipment / machines, software or technology controlled by the Export Administration Regulations or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations. The job must be filled by a U.S. person, or a person for whom a valid export control license, or exception, has been obtained or is not required from the U.S. Government.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro