POSITION DESCRIPTION: Serves as a first point of contact for external customers in the office and on the phone, as well as a liaison between external customers and medical staff. Greets, instructs and assists customers in obtaining needed services within the office and IHA. Obtains and communicates necessary patient and office visit information to billing staff and facilitates efficient patient flow through the office and appropriate billing for services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: 1. Greets all individuals arriving at the office courteously and ensures that their needs are met. 2.
Obtains necessary patient registration information, verifies patient insurance eligibility, prepares charts for visits in accordance with IHA protocols, and notifies clinical staff of patient's arrival. 3. Accurately completes patient forms, collects payment, and ensures that charges are posted to the billing system.
4. Retrieves and files EMR/paper charts and miscellaneous reports. 5.
Answers telephone in accordance with IHA telephone etiquette guidelines, taking and relaying messages in a timely manner. 6. Schedules and confirms appointments based on office protocols.
7. May oversee that daily payment and charge posting balancing is completed and correct. 8.
May support overdue report management and patient outreach. 9. Supports other offices, attends meetings and training as assigned.
10. Performs other duties as assigned. ORGANIZATIONAL EXPECTATIONS: 1.
Creates a positive, professional, service-oriented work environment for staff, patients and family members by supporting the IHA CARES mission and core values statement 2. Must be able to work effectively as a member of the reception team. 3.
Successfully completes IHA's "The Customer" training and adheres to IHA's standard of promptly providing a high level of service and respect to internal or external customers. 4. Maintains knowledge of and complies with IHA standards, policies and procedures, including IHA's Employee Handbook.
5. Maintains complete knowledge of office services and in the use of all relevant office equipment, computer, and manual systems 6. Maintains strict patient and employee confidentiality in compliance with IHA and HIPAA guidelines 7.
Serves as a role model, by demonstrating exceptional ability and willingness to take on new and additional responsibilities. Embraces new ideas and respects cultural differences. 8.
Uses resources efficiently. 9. Monitors, organizes and keeps work area and waiting room neat.
10. If applicable, responsible for ongoing professional development - maintains appropriate licensure/certification and continuing education credentials, participates in available learning opportunities. MEASURED BY: Performance that meets or exceeds IHA CARES Values expectation as outlined in IHA Performance Review document, relative to position.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED; course work in insurance/billing, medical practice education or seminars are all preferred. CREDENTIALS/LICENSURE: None MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: 1-2 years of experience in a medical or physician office or customer service environment preferred. POSITION REQUIREMENTS (ABILITIES & SKILLS): 1.
Excellent written (legible), verbal and face-to-face communication skills, including proper phone etiquette. 2. Proficient/knowledgeable in patient care procedures and organizational policies related to position responsibilities.
3. Service-oriented; responsive to customer needs and courteous in approach. 4.
Proficient in operating a standard desktop and Windows-based computer system, including but not limited to, electronic medical records, Microsoft Word /Excel/Outlook, intranet and computer navigation. 5. Ability to compute mathematical calculations.
6. Knowledge of medical terminology to perform position responsibilities. 7.
Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment; professional and friendly demeanor. 8. Ability to work effectively with various levels of organizational members and diverse populations including IHA staff, patients, family members, vendors, outside customers and couriers.
9. Ability to cross-train in other areas of practice in order to achieve smooth flow of all operations. 10.
Good organizational and time management skills to effectively juggle multiple priorities and time constraints. 11. Ability to exercise sound judgment and problem-solving skills.
12. Ability to handle patient and organizational information in a confidential manner. 13.
Ability to travel to other office/practice sites and meeting and training locations. 14. Successful completion of IHA competency-based program within introductory and training period.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL EXPECTATIONS: 1. Physical activity that often requires keyboarding, filing and phone work. 2.
Physical activity that often requires extensive time working on a computer. 3. Physical activity that sometimes requires walking, standing, bending, stooping, reaching, and/or twisting.
4. Physical activity that sometimes requires lifting, pushing and/or pulling under 30 lbs. 5.
Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust and focus. 6. Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment.
7. Must hear and speak well enough to conduct business over the telephone or face to face for long periods of time in English. MINIMUM ENVIRONMENTAL EXPECTATIONS: This job operates in a typical office environment with some exposure to contagious diseases/viruses.
It requires significant interaction with people (many of whom are scared, hurt and/or ill) which can be stressful and result in competing priorities.