Thomas J. Watson said it best: "Good design is good business." Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
Lead Designer, IBM Storage for Cloud
We are seeking a professional User Experience Designer with a proven record of delivering solutions that solve challenging business problems thru sound user research and interaction design. The ideal candidate will have experience collaborating effectively with Offering Management and engineering teams to apply Design Thinking practices within an agile delivery model. The candidate must be a self-starter who is ready to lead a new project from concept to delivery.
- Conduct user research activities that drive product direction and design.
- Understand and be the voice of the user among your peers in Offering Management and Engineering.
- Translate research findings into usable and effective user experiences.
- Test and validate working hypotheses and designs with users through usability testing.
- Deliver designs that are data driven, meet the needs of our users, and are consumable by an agile development team.
- Provide information verbally and visually through low and mid-fidelity renderings and clickable prototypes.
A leader, full of initiative, who is creative and curious. Able to focus on design detail and communicate user value. You possess experience solving complex design problems for Web applications or software solutions, and are capable of translating research findings into designs that provide outstanding experiences to users. You excel in written and verbal communication skills, including client interactions as well as informative presentations.
Come help us shape the next generation of Cloud Storage from IBM.
****Location Preferences for this role are Austin, TX and RTP, NC****
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Required Professional and Technical Expertise for this IBM role:
- Portfolio and work samples illustrating your user-centered design skills. User research, visualizations of complex experiences such as flows, scenarios, personas, etc. Design sketches, mock-ups, prototypes, etc.
- 4+ years of experience solving complex user problems thru user-centered design practices.
- Understanding of Design principles and their application.
- Bachelors in a design related field.
- Ability to work closely with technical staff to understand product's technical limitations and design solutions that meet user's needs even with tight constraints.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise for this IBM role:
- Master's Degree in a design related field.
- 7+ years of experience solving complex user problems thru user-centered design practices.
- Successful track record participating in interdisciplinary teams informed by stakeholder and user inputs.
About Business Unit
IBM Systems helps IT leaders think differently about their infrastructure. IBM servers and storage are no longer inanimate - they can understand, reason, and learn so our clients can innovate while avoiding IT issues. Our systems power the world's most important industries and our clients are the architects of the future. Join us to help build our leading-edge technology portfolio designed for cognitive business and optimized for cloud computing.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.