IAH on Cocoa Beach PLLC Merritt Island, FL
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: 401k, medical,
Full Time Position Open for Experienced Veterinary Technician
Island Animal Hospital is looking for a Certified or experienced Veterinary Technician for our busy, 3 doctor, progressive Viera practice. We have 3 Locations - Merritt Island, Cocoa Beach and Viera, Florida, all just minutes from the water or beach in the beautiful Space Coast! Our focus is high quality patient and client based care. We offer advanced dentistry, radiology, endoscopy, and preventative medicine with an emphasis on enhancing the bond with our clients and patients. Applicants should be compassionate, self-motivated, and possess excellent communication skills with a strong desire to contribute to a positive environment of teamwork and fun. Health benefits, vacation and continuing education opportunities are provided.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Veterinary Technician Certification (CVT) desirable but not required.
- Previous On-The-Job Training desirable when not a CVT.
- Minimum two years experience as veterinary technician or assistant.
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- Is well-spoken and approaches his/her job duties in a mature nature.
- Is experienced in the teamwork approach and works well with all levels of hospital team members.
- Has excellent client communication skills.
- Can provide compassionate care to patients and clients.
- Can conduct oneself in a confident and professional manner even when stressed and/or focused on individual tasks.
- Can legibly keep accurate medical records in accordance hospital policy.
- Can prepare and maintain the exam rooms and treatment areas.
- Can perform physical assessments; record observations legibly in files or computer.
- Can effectively restrain pets even when large or difficult.
- Understands all common vaccinations and vaccination protocols and can explain to clients.
- Understands the importance of a clean and orderly facility, does not hesitate to clean or organize as part of a normal job duty.
- Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
- Gives SQ, IM and IV injections.
- Can handle client’s medical questions with confidence and direct to veterinarians when appropriate.
- Can prepare estimates for procedures and discuss financial commitments with clients supporting hospital financial policies.
- Can explain necessary followup and homecare instructions.
- Understands usage, dosage, and common side-effects for commonly used prescription drugs and can readily explain them to the clients.
- Can maintain an appropriate inventory of all medical supplies as determined by the inventory control system.
- Can assist the veterinarian in medical, surgical and dental procedures; prepares patients for surgery; administers anesthesia; monitors patients during surgery and recovery; administers fluids.
- Can properly care for all surgical materials; keep the operating room properly stocked and prepared for surgery.
- Can perform emergency procedures such as control of bleeding, resuscitation with oxygen, opening airways, and external cardiac massage.
- Can perform clinical laboratory procedures such as fecal flotation exams, heartworm checks, skin scrapings, urinalysis, and fungal cultures; draws blood for laboratory analysis; maintains file of lab test results and ensures that test results are recorded in patient records.
- Can effectively position for and take radiographs.
- Can perform electrocardiograms.
- Can place IV catheters and properly care for them. Understands the use and care of IV pumps as well.
- Knows common disease states and can alert veterinarians when symptoms change or when concerns arise with hospitalized patients.
- Can prepare a patient and the machine for an ultrasound procedure.
- Can admit patients following hospital policy and doctors written orders.
- Can discharge patients based on the veterinarian’s orders, ensuring that patients are well groomed and in a medically appropriate state.
IAH on Cocoa Beach PLLC
5380 Stadium ParkwayMerritt Island, FL
AnimalView all jobs at IAH on Cocoa Beach PLLC