LOCATION: Indian Springs Environmental Discovery Center
BU / LEVEL: P3/P4 Provisional
SALARY RANGE: $12.25 - 14.45 per hour DOQ (up to 1500 hours per year maximum)
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Under the direction of the District Interpretive Services Supervisor, this year-round, part time Interpreter position seeks to present a variety of interpretive programs to school groups of all levels, families, community groups and other members of the public, to share the rich natural and cultural history of Southeast Michigan at the Huron-Clinton Metroparks. Work responsibilities in this position involve planning, preparing, and presenting talks, demonstrations, and promoting public interest in the appreciation of natural, historical and cultural resources. This position performs a variety of professional and technical duties related to interpretive programs and operation of nature centers, farms, and museums for assigned district.This position is part-time up to 1500 hours per year.
- Associate’s degree from accredited college within nature interpretation, environmental education, biology or natural resources management or a related field.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Progressively responsible experience in interpretation, education or a related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to demonstrate the ability to perform the job may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- Ability to promote and maintain cooperative working relationships with educational groups, park visitors and other employees.
- Must maintain a valid Michigan driver's license and an acceptable driving record.
- Ability to communicate verbally to give tours, lead programs and presentations.
- May be assigned to work in other parks and districts as needed and if necessary.
- Will be required to work assigned Special Events, Weekends, Evenings and Holidays.
- Will be required to adjust schedule to meet organizational needs.
- Ability to perform essential duties.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices used in developing and carrying out a diversified interpretive program.
- Knowledge of and ability to design science education programs that support the specific grade level content expectations and Michigan Science Standards set by the Michigan Department of Education.
- Certified Interpretive Guide (CIG) certification, or the ability to complete CIG certification within one year.
- Ability to speak effectively before large groups.
- Ability to operate listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with the public, outside agencies and employees.
- Must be able to demonstrate creativity and the ability to implement new initiatives.
A full job description can be obtained by contacting Human Resources as listed below.
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and your resume to the Metroparks Job Board Click Here to Apply. Applications will be accepted until the vacancy is filled.
NOTE:Michigan “Freedom of Information” laws require that candidate names and other information be made available upon request, unless the candidate has expressly requested confidentiality. The Huron-Clinton Metroparks will endeavor to maintain confidentiality and privacy within applicable laws. The Huron-Clinton Metropolitan Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).