Responsible for the school wide counseling component; serves as a School Counselor and provide direct services to students.
1. Required valid appropriate Arizona School Counselor Certificate;
2. Required two (2) years or more verified years of experience in related field.
3. Experience with the implementation of a comprehensive school counseling program to promote and enhance student achievement.
4. Experience with advising and assisting students in improving grades and performance and in solving adjustment and personal problems.
5. Knowledge of and experience with test administration and measurement services to the school.
6. Knowledge of available social services resources with the ability to provide resource information to teachers and staff; ability to work with parents and families as needed; facilitate the referral process.
7. Knowledge of the State Guidance Counseling Model (CCBG).
8. Knowledge of and experience in substance abuse prevention counseling.
9. Required experience with diverse populations, specifically Native Americans.
10. Experience with teacher collaboration strategies, teamwork is a must.
11. Computer literate and experience with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, and Windows) and experience with technology-based assessments.
12. Required valid Driver’s License with insurable driving record.
13. Must have or be able to obtain first aid/CPR certification, Defensive Driving- GSA certification, and a Navajo Nation Food Handlers Permit.
14. Must pass a comprehensive background check.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. At all times in the presence of students and staff and their families, exhibit the conduct, demeanor speech, and attitudes that exemplify the values and behavior expected of staff at Hunter’s Point Boarding School, Inc. and serve as an appropriate adult role model for students
2. Exhibit, at all times while employed by Hunter’s Point Boarding School, Inc., sensitivity and respect for the Navajo people, their culture and traditions.
3. Comply with all provisions of the Personnel Policy Manual and with all provisions of all other duly adopted Governing Board policies, procedures, directives and manuals.
4. At all times act so as to promote and protect the safety and welfare of all Hunter’s Point Boarding School, Inc. students, staff and Governing Board.
5. Keep immediate supervisor informed, regularly and as needed, of all significant problems, progress and activities of all offices, departments, programs and personnel under employee’s supervision.
6. Attend staff and other meetings as assigned, promptly as scheduled and participate actively and positively in all such meetings and activities.
7. Ensure equipment and facilities are kept clean, well maintained, and safe at all times; report any equipment failures or deficiencies immediately to supervisor and use all property for school business only.
8. Perform additional duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide services to students, parents, school staff and the community in the following areas: School Guidance Curriculum; Individual Student Planning; Responsive Services via: individual or group counseling, consultation with parents, teachers and other educators, referrals to other school support services or community resources, peer helping and information.
2. Responsible for implementing Native American traditional counseling appropriate to HPBSI students.
3. Develop confidential relationships with students to help them resolve or cope with problems and developmental concerns.
4. Conduct annual needs assessment to determine goals, objectives, priorities and services to be provide periodic update reports to administration and governing board; report on immediate, intermediate and long-range results showing how students are difference as a result of the school counseling program.
5. Organize and manage a school-wide advisory council; conduct meetings at prescribe by annual plan.
6. Provide leadership in the administration of state assessment; collect, organize, and analyze data, organize data retreat to review statewide assessment results.
7. Maintain student records and files in accordance with confidentially requirements and procedures.
8. Serve as liaison among the Special Education Department, Regular Academic program, parents, administration and other services providers.
9. Network with local community service providers: health organization with drug education programs; drug education prevention programs and other related student support community programs.
10. Be responsible for enforcing school approved discipline plan.
11. Identify and refer unusual student behavior to appropriate specialist; report to the nurse any injury or illness to a student.
12. Know and follow school regulations regarding emergency and safety procedures.
13. Responsible for performing those duties which protect the health and safety of students and employees.
OTHER REQUIRED RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Attends staff meetings and all required school in-service program activities.
2. Serves on committees as requested (School Improvement, Child Study Team, etc.).
3. Be responsible for instructional and non-instructional school-related activities (i.e. playground and lunch room duty).
4. Be responsible for own involvement as a contributing member involving group decisions and the development of a positive, cooperative building environment.
5. Be responsible for following accountability procedures; know and observe Governing Board policies and procedures.
6. Accounts for school and school property, as required.
7. Reports to work daily at times assigned and remains through time prescribed in accordance with HPBS policy.
8. Remains in school after dismissal of students, as necessary to complete daily duties, attend teacher and committee meetings and hold parent conferences.
9. Become familiar and implements HPBS Emergency Response Plan and Continuity of Operations Plan (CoOP);
10. Provides Quality Customer Service.
Hunters Point Boarding School, Inc
Why Work Here?Hunters Point Boarding School Inc is a K-5 BIE grant school located 6 miles south of St. Michaels and Window Rock, AZ. The school is located in a scenic and rural region offering small class sizes and a residential hall. We offer competitive salaries with excellent benefits such as employer paid health insurance for staff and a 7% 401k match! Please visit our website to find out more about the school and program at www.hpbs-az.org.
HPBSI is a dynamic small school with excellent benefits in a scenic location.
Saint Michaels, AZ