Hunter Quinn Homes, LLC Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA
Hunter Quinn Homes LLC (HQ Homes) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Controller to join our rapidly growing company. Located in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, HQ Homes is a privately-held family-owned Charleston, SC residential home builder: (https://www.hunterquinnhomes.com/communities). In addition to our HQ Home construction company, the equity holders of HQ Home have several other adjacent closely-held businesses that include a landholding company, a landscaping and maintenance services company, and several locally operated restaurants.
The Controller will lead a variety of accounting-related tasks including: coordination and oversight of accounting functions at all HQ Homes and adjacent companies, month-end close and financial reporting, corporate and company-level journal entries for HQ Homes and related operating companies, fixed assets, accruals, account analysis, updating accounting procedures and internal controls, and special projects. The Controller supports the CFO directly in managing all aspects of designated general accounting functions for reporting and compliance. The Controller provides advice and counsel to HQ Homes and related operating companies.
Candidates must have a solid understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, significant experience in a job costing environment and demonstrated progression in their accounting career.
This position works in accordance with HQ Homes policies, procedures, and company values.
HUNTER QUINN HOMES COMPANY VALUES:
Be Focused and Nimble: We strive to be the “Builder of Choice”—for our customers, team members, partners, and community. We stay focused on the actions that support that goal and remain agile enough to respond to changes that impact the people who rely on us.
We are Communicators and Collaborators: We focus first on creating meaningful relationships that set the foundation for an open & collaborative environment. By treating others the way we want to be treated, and always doing the right thing, ethical based communication sets the standard for our success.
- We are Never Satisfied: We are ‘Never satisfied’ and are not afraid of a challenge. By going above the standard, we create a solution- focused environment that drives us toward results. We search for the ‘yes’ in all we do because we are always thinking forward.
- “No Suits”: ‘No suits’ is an attitude and not a dress code. We work in an open environment where all ideas are welcome, opposed to working in “corporate silos”. Everyone can express their opinions, ideas and thoughts because that is where valuable output arises.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Manage monthly closing process including review of accounts, reconciliations and monthly closing journal entries prepared by the finance team.
Review and assist with preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and reporting packages.
Manage cash flow for the organization including preparing weekly cash flow forecasts and cash projections.
Review and assist with preparation of monthly WIP schedule to monitor project progress, and financing.
- Perform treasury activities including managing lines of credit with Company's banks, ACH and wire payments, reviewing quarterly bank compliance covenants and submiting to the banks as required.
- Coordinate with insurance carriers for annual insurance portfolio reviews/renewals and day-to-day changes.
- Assist CFO and finance staff with accounts receivable and accounts payable oversight, analysis, and communication with the operating companies.
- Assist CFO with revisions and re-design to financial processes at all HQ Homes and related companies.
- Monitor and maintain internal control environment, including maintaining a documented systems of accounting policies and operations and reviewing accounting standards updates, determining applicability, and implementing adoption.
- Develop, maintain, and analyze periodic budgets and forecasts.
- Facilitate and manage external audits (financial, insurance, etc.) with assistance from finance team and CFO.
- Manage federal, state and local tax compliance, annual income tax return preparation and government agency reporting.
- Facilitate ad hoc projects (sales tax review, new systems implementation and any others that may be required).
- Identify areas for process and accounting system improvements, expense reductions, additional investment and/or reorganization. Assist with day to day execution of plans, modifications, and acquisition strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned and reasonably within the scope of duties enumerated above
The following requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required by an individual to be successful in this role.
- Must believe in our company values, applying professional action and follow-up to support our commitment to our customers, team members, partners, and communities
- 10+ years of experience in accounting or finance, with a significant amount of time in job costing environments; accounting leadership experience, in a finance manager role or similar
- Experience in the construction industry preferred; job costing experience required
- Experience with cashflow forecasting required; other treasury functions preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, MBA is preferred
- CPA, CMA or CGMA preferred
- Strong ERP knowledge required; experience with Sage 100 Contractor and/or QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Accounting Software strongly preferred; demonstrated expertise in Excel required along with experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and other Microsoft applications
- Demonstrated ability to roll-up sleeves and work with team members
- Strong ownership of work product; must care strongly about completing work correctly and on time, with strong attention to detail and problem-solving ability
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously with accuracy while maintaining a positive attitude in a fast-paced environment
- Superior analytical and organizational skills; This includes the ability to develop graphs, tables, presentations, and templates to convey information clearly, concisely and effectively
- Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries in working with all stakeholders
- Ability to work independently as well as be a part of the team with minimal day to day supervision; must be self-directed
- Demonstrates a positive attitude, self-motivation, empathy, and resourcefulness while maintaining a reputation that reflects proactive team participation. Is customer focused and presents a willingness to assist where/when needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with both internal and external contacts to include active listening, developing rapport and resolving conflict
- Ability to assess and resolve stakeholder inquiries and concerns, responding timely and effectively. Understand when to elevate a situation to the next level
- Ability to be multi-faceted in business environment to assist where needed with exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrate strong work ethic with a commitment to professional behavior and interactions
- Ability to adapt to changing technology and processes
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen
Compensation and Benefits: HQ Homes offers a competitive salary and benefits package including paid time off, paid holidays, health, dental, and vision insurance, group term life insurance with voluntary employee paid buy up, company paid long-term disability insurance with voluntary employee-paid short-term disability insurance, accident and critical illness coverage, and a 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), including disability and veterans
Hunter Quinn Homes
Mount Pleasant, SC