Under the direction of the Director of Operations, the Community Director is responsible for the operational and financial oversight of their assigned community to achieve company goals. Results will be achieved through facilitating the optimum performance of the community in areas such as personnel management, leasing, collections, resident services, maintenance, revenue enhancement, capital improvements, Government/Partner relationship, information reporting and compliance with all applicable laws and company policies. This position requires excellent communication and collaboration skills, along with strong computer and hands on-management skills.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs all tasks typically associated with managing staff such as, recruit, hire, train, coach, evaluate and discipline up to and including termination of direct reports.
- Serve as Hunt’s liaison with the Government and maintains an open line of communication with the local and other Government entities as necessary.
- Manage the daily operations of a multi-family military housing property.
- Closely monitor the financial performance and operations within the approved budget of the property. The focus is maximizing cash flow after debt service. Operate within budget and purchasing guidelines.
- Guide a team in achieving income and occupancy goals by offering superior sales skills, customer service and relationship management.
- Analyze operations and initiate change to improve the community’s performance. Identify and implement opportunities to increase revenue that enhance the asset’s value.
- Monitor internal and external market forces and develop strategies to maintain a highly competitive product and occupancy of to maximize occupancy.
- Report on the progress of all assigned projects. Act as liaison between on-site management and residents / military partner and communicate effectively with management when problems or changes occur.
- Foster an environment of proactive and on-going marketing and advertising efforts to increase the visibility & profitability of the community. Maintain an in-depth, ongoing knowledge of the local market and economic trends and implement marketing plans accordingly.
- Perform physical inspections of the property and verify condition of vacant homes.
- Coordinate with maintenance and make-ready staff to ensure change of occupancy maintenance meets HMC standards after move-out.
- Maintain records of all aspects of management activity on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Generate various reports as required.
- Obtain bids and manage capital improvement projects per company guidelines and budget.
- Oversee Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and general bookkeeping.
- Provide customer service to residents resolving any issues that may occur and ensuring maintenance completes service re-quests in a timely manner.
- Conduct monthly market surveys and provide trend report information.
- Establishing and maintaining renewal programs as required.
- Overseeing risk management and emergency procedures.
- Practices proper safety techniques in accordance with Company, property and departmental policies, procedures, and standards.
- Gathers, analyzes, and interprets current market and economic trends that may impact the property and implements short- and long-range marketing and leasing strategies to achieve the property’s occupancy and revenue goals.
- Conducts regular property inspections and takes appropriate actions to ensure that the physicalcleanliness, and general appearance and appeal.
- aspects of the property, grounds, buildings, and amenities meet established standards for safety,
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
- Maintain a positive customer service attitude.
- Ensure all resident requests or complaints are resolved in a timely, efficient, and courteous manner.
- Review all notices to vacate to determine the cause of the move-out.
- Initiate and implement policies/procedures to maintain resident communications; e.g. complaints, service requests, etc.
- Implement, design, and maintain a resident retention program (newsletter, resident referral program and/or social activities).
- Operate financially within the approved budgets.
- Creation of annual budget.
- Ensures all rents are collected when due and posted in a timely manner.
- Perform evictions, utility cut-offs and landlord liens as required on delinquent rentals.
- Review all notices to vacate to determine the cause of the move-out.
- Approve invoices for payment and review expense reports and handle all funds.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand and perform to financial goals (i.e., income, expenses, and budgets).
- Actively maintain and report monthly variances and narratives.
- Hire, train, terminate, performance management, motivate and direct supervision all on-site staff to achieve operational goals of assigned community. This includes new employee on-boarding and training, on-going formal and informal performance evaluation, instructing and advising on-site staff of employee procedures and guidelines.
- Provide comprehensive feedback to non-performing employees. Facilitates disciplinary procedures and documentations up to and including terminations of employment if necessary while collaborating with Director of Operations and Human Resources.
- Conduct on-going training with office staff; e.g., leasing paperwork, workplace safety, and any other type of training that may be needed daily.
- Daily ensure that all employees operate within OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) standards and company safety polices.
- Oversees and monitors all problems that may be handled by or include staff members.
- Daily monitor employee timecards and punches daily to ensure proper payroll practices.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Property Management, or other related discipline preferred.
Experience and Qualifications
- Five years previous property leasing experience or applicable skills.
- Two years’ previous experience managing others.
- Strong computer skills with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Previous experience with YARDI is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Certified Professional of Occupancy (CPO) certification or Accredited Residential Management (ARM) certification highly preferred. Certified Apartment Manager (CAM) preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with employees at all levels of the organization as well as working with the military community and the military command.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Requires a reliable, self-motivated, team player who pays close attention to detail, demonstrates strong communication, client management and business literacy skills. Demonstrates discretion and ability to maintain a professional attitude and appearance. The Community Director is in-command, responsible for all phases of the community’s operations. Every day is an opportunity for the Community Director to be an innovative thinker, strategic planner, and an excellent coach, rallying the team to achieve its highest potential in-order to accomplish the community’s financial, operating, and resident services goals. Minimum three to five years’ experience in a strategic planning, financial analysis, business development role, or operational management preferably within the property management industry.
Hunt provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
As a family-owned company, we understand that our employees are our most valuable asset. We’re proud of our reputation for strong human capital, and remain dedicated to providing our employees with essential tools to foster both personal and professional growth. And, while we are committed to offering competitive salaries and a strong benefits package, we understand the important role company culture plays in employee longevity—and work tirelessly to promote a healthy working environment for our entire corporate family.