- $18 Hourly
This is a temporary position with the potential to become permanent.
Responsible for providing a high standard of care and humane handling for all shelter animals and maintaining a safe and sanitary facility for animals and people. Ensures all animals’ nutrition, housing, enrichment, and other care needs are met daily.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clean, disinfect, and maintain all animal housing spaces on a daily and continuous basis, adhering to HRA Standard Operating Procedures and protocols for animal care, kennel maintenance, sanitation, parasite and disease control, and other animal care practices.
- Provide appropriate diet, clean water, and enrichment to all animals according to SOPs and as directed by management and medical personnel.
- Monitor animals’ health and behaviors, and record observations at least daily according to SOP. Report signs of illness and behavior concerns as directed to appropriate personnel.
- Record clear and concise notes regarding animal behavior and care in PetPoint.
- Move animals around the facility as directed by the animal care management team and ensure that all animal locations and stages are correctly entered into PetPoint.
- Keep all animal areas stocked with food, litter, cleaning supplies, and other essential items, informing Managers when items need replenishment or repair.
- Put away deliveries and donations of animal care and cleaning supplies throughout the day as they are delivered.
- Maintain the cleanliness of common and public areas assigned to the Animal Care team.
- Provide guidance and assistance to HRA volunteers and community service workers.
- Read HRA email daily, responding in a timely manner when appropriate.
- Report maintenance/repair issues to animal care department management
- Any other duties as assigned by Animal Care Managers, Sr. Director of Operations, or VP of Operations
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Willingness to work with cats, dogs, small animals, reptiles, fish, and wildlife.
- Ability to work out of doors in all weather conditions.
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a team and across HRA’s departments.
- Ability to manage the emotional aspect of work in an animal shelter environment in a positive, professional manner.
- Ability to travel between DC campuses.
- Passion for the Humane Rescue Alliance mission, for caring for all animals regardless of age, breed, temperament, or species, and supporting and educating members of the public, free of judgment or bias.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted regularly, 50+ pounds assisted.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activity daily, including but not limited to lifting and carrying, reaching, stooping, standing, squatting, and bending. Regularly moves about the facilities to coordinate work.
- Due to the nature of shelter work, may be exposed to deceased, fractious, or aggressive animals; hostile or irate persons; zoonotic or other diseases; allergens; unpleasant noises, odors, or sights; and extreme temperatures.
Multilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. A salary premium may be offered for multilingual candidates who demonstrate proficiency in written and oral testing.
HRA is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of race, color, creed, gender, religion, national origin, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, citizenship status, or sexual orientation. Accommodations will be provided to qualified individuals requiring them.
Humane Rescue AllianceWashington, DC
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.