- Expired: July 17, 2021. Applications are no longer accepted.
Position Title: Recreation Specialist
Location: Gerald R. Ford Job Corps Center, Grand Rapids, MI
Reports To: Recreation Supervisor
The Recreation Specialist position provides support for a U.S Department of Labor Job Corps contractor. The Job Corps program is a federally-funded residential training program. The mission of Job Corps is to provide career-ready technical and academic training and job placement assistance to program eligible youth ages 16-24.
Summary of Duties:
Responsible for monitoring and directing students engaged in center-sponsored recreational activities in compliance with DOL, company and center directives.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Assists students in adjusting to Center life by providing supervision, behavior modification and acting as a mentor.
- Plans, implements and coordinates a comprehensive and diversified recreation program according to DOL, Corporate and Center guidelines: Provides new and creative ides to use for recreational activities. Organizes and supervises students’ participation in a variety of recreation activities.
- Promotes recreational activities and continuing education: Coordinates and participates in recreational activities that promote independent living, continuing education, good sportsmanship, teamwork and continuous learning. Facilitates recreational classes and activities.
- Promotes safety of staff and students. Chaperones students to Center recreation functions. Conducts and tracks water safety training for all students as assigned.
- Promotes the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate workplace and leisure time behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed. Maintains accountability of students and property; adheres to safety practices. Participates in sports and fitness activities only with specified personal protective equipment.
- Ensures that recreation center is attractive, clean, safe, and in good repair. Inspections in assigned areas are to meet or exceed expectations consistently. Environmental Health Inspections must average 95% or above. Work orders are completed in a timely manner to ensure all furniture, equipment, etc. is in good repair. Documents relevant information in logs and other forms as required.
- Provides students with Independent Living Program training as well as other Career Success Standards training. Develops and implements training to ensure students’ successful knowledge and application of Independent Living and Career Success Standards. Provides individual and group lessons or project assignments after the training day and on weekends to help student’s master competencies in all standards with clearly established performance levels for these activities. Oversees Work-based Learning and leisure time students.
- Evaluation of Student Progress. Completes evaluations for students at least every 60 days and/or as special evaluations as requested. Ensures that students establish SMART goals and implement a plan so that they meet or exceed goals and expectations.
- Plans physical education program to promote development of student's physical attributes and social skills.
- Adapts recreation programs, teaches individual and team sports to students, utilizing knowledge of sports techniques and of physical capabilities of students.
- Organizes, leads, instructs, and referees indoor and outdoor games such as volleyball, baseball, and basketball.
- Instructs individuals or groups in beginning or advanced calisthenics, or corrective exercises, determining type and level of difficulty of exercises, corrections needed, and prescribed movements.
- Confers with students, staff, and counselors, to resolve student problems.
- Selects, stores, orders, issues, and inventories equipment, materials, and supplies used in physical education program.
- Assists in conducting recreation activities in community center or other voluntary recreation facility by performing the following duties.
- Plans, organizes, and supervises recreation, athletics, and special activities including games, sports, hiking, cultural events, dances, talent shows, and other leisure-time activities.
- Assists supervisor in developing recreational programs and schedules.
- Arranges chairs, tables, and sporting or exercise equipment in designated rooms or other areas for scheduled group activities such as parties, group meetings, or sports events.
- Notifies patrons of activity schedules and registration requirements.
- Monitors spectators and participants at sports events to ensure orderly conduct.
- Keeps attendance records or scores at sporting events, operates audiovisual equipment, and monitors activities of children during recreational trips or tours.
- Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid state driver’s license
- CPR/First Aid certifications
- Valid Teacher Certification, in state of employment
Equal Opportunity Statement Human Learning Systems provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local laws.
Human Learning Systems
AddressGrand Rapids, MI
Sports and RecreationView all jobs at Human Learning Systems