Aerospace Mechanical Engineer
HumCap, Inc. Prosper, TX
- Posted: over a month ago
Aerospace Mechanical Engineer - Prosper, TX
The role will be responsible mechanical and structural design in a wide range of locations and applications within the air vehicle and its associated equipment. This will include designing parts and assemblies from a variety of materials including molded carbon composites, machined metallics, and additive plastics and guiding the project through its entire lifecycle. The role will involve the design of both new features and vehicles as well as the support and improvement of existing products. Appropriate levels of analysis will be required to prove and verify designs while constantly keeping in mind the effect of each change on vehicle level performance. When required, the engineer will design, supervise, and analyze test programs to support program goals. Formal engineering documentation of all designs and changes in the form of 2D drawings will be required.
The role will be responsible for developing the tooling required to build parts and assemblies. This may include molds for composites pieces or other trim, drill, or assembly fixtures as required to manufacture a design and will involve close coordination with the manufacturing team.
The engineer will work closely with sub-contractors and suppliers to ensure they are able to deliver quality products on time to support program goals. This may involve limited travel to supplier sites and will involve close coordination on any project with which the engineer is involved. Technical design information must be imparted in a clear concise way to ensure sub-contractor success.
The ideal candidate will have been intimately involved with the development and flight testing of aircraft which may include military drones, research vehicles, hobby projects, or general aviation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience with aircraft fabrication, assembly, or modification
- Experience in SolidWorks or equivalent 3D CAD
- Strong background in MATLAB
- Knowledge of the aircraft design process, aircraft flight dynamics and control systems
- Experience with drawing setup, scale usage, dimensioning, labeling, and plotting within a 2D and 3D environment
- Ability to interact professionally with internal and external customers, subcontractors, and suppliers
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- An inventive aptitude, balanced with discipline and attention to detail
- Ability to coordinate the release and update of engineering design documentation, bills of materials, manufacturing procedures, product acceptance test procedures, and production tooling and test equipment.
- Performs other responsibilities associated with this position as may be appropriate and assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience designing tooling and fixtures for carbon composite assembly manufacturing
- Background in 3D printing
- Experience with LabVIEW
- Experience with FEM modeling of loads and structural elements
- Experience with CFD modeling of aircraft and subsystems
- Experience with production manufacturing techniques for aerospace
- Experience generating production documentation based on designs personally overseen
- Understanding of GD&T
- Experience in design and fabrication of mechanical/mechatronic components
- Effectively manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service, quality, and team orientation
- Commitment to continuous improvement of knowledge, skills, and abilities
BS or MS in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering is required.
3-7 years of relevant aerospace industry experience.
ManufacturingView all jobs at HumCap, Inc.